Craigslist

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

nil wrote:Guess I overpaid for a jointer on eBay?

I looked at completed auctions and they were averaging 165 so I bid 166.20 and won at 164.

Just finished assembling it and ran a scrap piece of hardwood through it from a shipping pallet.

It had the dust chute and new safety feather guard and no rust.

Did I get a fair deal? This craigslist post suggests not.
Its hard to say without pictures. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal. I wish I could find one around here for that price. I would like to make a shorty.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

Looks like I was a little wrong on the final price...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Joint ... true&rt=nc

But the dust chute broke in shipping...

I meant to mention, it was perfectly sharp with an amazingly smooth cut on the first test.
stickthrower
Gold Member

Post by stickthrower »

Someone up here in MN posted a similar post on Craigslist too. I got my 500 for $200. I was happy with that. I haven't seen anything even close to that since. If I did, It might be hard to not go take a look. :D I would like to pick up a band saw.

Nathan
central MN
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

stickthrower wrote:Someone up here in MN posted a similar post on Craigslist too. I got my 500 for $200. I was happy with that. I haven't seen anything even close to that since. If I did, It might be hard to not go take a look. :D I would like to pick up a band saw.

Nathan
Yep, remember that. Too many people list $1000 plus. I have the chance to purchase some of the SPTs I want, but a 500 comes in the mix. It's a good deal, but the thing holding me back is I wonder if I go to sell the 500 could I even get $250 to make it work out and how long it would take to sell.

Once you've bought more than enough machines the price to move has to be low. I'd say the 500 and 510 range were high. Truthfully, the 520 range is probably the price of a 510 + the upgrade from Shopsmith. At least that way Shopsmith gets some business.
henecle
Gold Member

It's not just unrealistic/uninformed sellers on CL...

Post by henecle »

Check this out... :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shop-Smith-wood ... 3f23a44c4f

as the quote goes, "hope springs eternal"...

(Admin - eBay link posted purely for illustrative purposes, not intended to induce anyone to purchase) :D
Leif

1981 Mark V Model 500 "Shorty"
1981 Mark V Model 500 "Drill Press"
1987 Sawsmith 2000 Ultra
2005 Mark 7 PowerPro Model 520/Bandsaw/Jointer/Pro Planer/Belt Sander/Scroll Saw/Jigsaw/Strip Sander/Universal Tool Rest/Speed Reducer/DC3300/RingMaster/Mortising Package/MiterSled 5000/Biscuit Joiner/Grinding Wheel Guard/Nova G3 Chuck/Lathe Duplicator/SS Air System
2010 Lumber Smith sawmill
CarveWright CNC

"I wish I could remember everything my Dad taught me"
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Ah all this talk reminds me of the great investment I made when I bought my Shopsmith brand new.

I can actually remember a time when tools increased in value. A tablesaw bought in 60's would sell for a lot more than it originally sold for in the 50s

But that was before the days of cheap imports.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

henecle wrote:Check this out... :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shop-Smith-woodworking-electric-turning-lath-saw-w-several-blades-Workshop-/271180909647?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f23a44c4f

as the quote goes, "hope springs eternal"...

(Admin - eBay link posted purely for illustrative purposes, not intended to induce anyone to purchase) :D
Yeah, she is listing it for her husband and she has absolutely no idea what it is worth. She is dreaming but guess what - she just might sell it. One never knows about these things.

If she does sell it, I wonder if he will ever know that she did? Just thinking!:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
letterk
Gold Member

Post by letterk »

dusty wrote:Yeah, she is listing it for her husband and she has absolutely no idea what it is worth. She is dreaming but guess what - she just might sell it. One never knows about these things.

If she does sell it, I wonder if he will ever know that she did? Just thinking!:rolleyes:
I she sells it, he'll probably forgive her when he buys the new Power Pro. :rolleyes:
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

nil wrote:Looks like I was a little wrong on the final price...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Jointer-in-Excellent-Condition-/400439491758?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=aSN82iGYBzResgXDIu%252FmRCeD%252BZk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

But the dust chute broke in shipping...

I meant to mention, it was perfectly sharp with an amazingly smooth cut on the first test.
This ad shows a jointer mounted in a headrest. I wonder if that is stable. I would be fearful of it being top heavy. If not, that might be a good way to store one that is not mounted.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
nil
Gold Member

Post by nil »

Even if it is unstable, it has two screw holes on the other side that could be used to screw it down to make it good for photos. This guy puts another jointer up for sale every time he sells one... And same for belt sanders. I don't think he actually uses them.