Setscrews for ShopSmith Mark V, stainless steel?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

reible[B wrote:]Another thing I didn't know. All of my machines have a simple hole with no countersink. You don't happen to have a picture somewhere?
[/b]
I found the hardware that came with the new casters has extra long fasteners for what is needed. I replaced them with a "better" length.

I guess I can afford a set to check out. Will let you all know when they arrive and I can have a look at them. If nothing else I can use them somewhere other then the shopsmith.... I hope.

Ed

Not that I recall, so...

[ATTACH]19414[/ATTACH]

The castings are the same thickness. The csink extends all the way to the inside hole. The 1/2" od is actually about 0.050 larger.
Attachments
leg mount holes.jpg
leg mount holes.jpg (422.86 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

Bill,

Do you still have some ceramic guide blocks for sle for the SS bandsaw? PM me if so. I tried two different emails for you and they both bounced back.

Thanks

Jack
backhertz
Platinum Member

Quill Setscrew p/n 501634

Post by backhertz »

The quill setscrew p/n 501634 (Ref #44) looks like a typical Allen screw from the top of the headstock. It's not! I found out the hard way after buying a used 510 which included all the SPTs and an Incra fence system. I needed another Shopsmith like another hole in my head, but that most likely exceeds the scope of this forum.

Long story short: using a regular Allen screw will result in damage to the quill whereas the proper set screw fits properly in the quill channel, acts as a guide, and permits the quill to easily be extended and retracted. A standard Allen screw will actually prevent the quill from moving by caused by the knurled cup point on the end of most Allen screws if one does not use much force. It might feel like all is okay, but trust me, it's not.

I thought I might have suffered a self-inflicted problem, but if you watch Nick on the Saw Dust Session or Jim on the DIY PowerPro video when they removed the quill, the setscrew is simply loosened- never removed.

With all the headstocks I've maintained, I never had need to actually completely remove the quill set screw when pulling out a quill out of a headstock. As a result I never even thought to remove and inspect the setscrew which is usually filled in and painted before a new headstock ever leaves Poe Avenue. I learned the hard way that there is a difference as one of the two owners of this used headstock had replaced the set screw with an Allen screw. Doh!

I seriously doubt I will ever buy another headstock, but for those of you who will, if you see the quill setscrew filler material might have been disturbed to remove a quill, it might be worth a few seconds to remove the setscrew & inspect it- just to be sure.
One Greenie, Two Mark 7s,Three 510s and much more…
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

claimdude wrote:Bill,

Do you still have some ceramic guide blocks for sle for the SS bandsaw? PM me if so. I tried two different emails for you and they both bounced back.

Thanks

Jack
Yes, I have the ceramic guide blocks for the Shopsmith bandsaw available. I recently upgraded to Verizon FIOS service (outstanding) but my old Email address still exists in places. Also, my web site contains invalid Email addresses. Unable to update them. Check the bottom of this post for my latest Email address. Thanks.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

backhertz wrote:The quill setscrew p/n 501634 (Ref #44) looks like a typical Allen screw from the top of the headstock. It's not! I found out the hard way after buying a used 510 which included all the SPTs and an Incra fence system. I needed another Shopsmith like another hole in my head, but that most likely exceeds the scope of this forum.

Long story short: using a regular Allen screw will result in damage to the quill whereas the proper set screw fits properly in the quill channel, acts as a guide, and permits the quill to easily be extended and retracted. A standard Allen screw will actually prevent the quill from moving by caused by the knurled cup point on the end of most Allen screws if one does not use much force. It might feel like all is okay, but trust me, it's not.

I thought I might have suffered a self-inflicted problem, but if you watch Nick on the Saw Dust Session or Jim on the DIY PowerPro video when they removed the quill, the setscrew is simply loosened- never removed.

With all the headstocks I've maintained, I never had need to actually completely remove the quill set screw when pulling out a quill out of a headstock. As a result I never even thought to remove and inspect the setscrew which is usually filled in and painted before a new headstock ever leaves Poe Avenue. I learned the hard way that there is a difference as one of the two owners of this used headstock had replaced the set screw with an Allen screw. Doh!

I seriously doubt I will ever buy another headstock, but for those of you who will, if you see the quill setscrew filler material might have been disturbed to remove a quill, it might be worth a few seconds to remove the setscrew & inspect it- just to be sure.
That 'anti-rotation' quill 'set' screw is a half dog set screw. The end is smaller than the od of the screw threads. It rides in a keyway slot on the top of the quill.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange