Hans Goldschmidt's personal copy of PTWFE

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jsburger
Platinum Member

Hans Goldschmidt's personal copy of PTWFE

Post by jsburger »

I bought one of two copies of PTWFE from Skip Campbell that was owned by Hans Goldschmidt the inventor of the Shopsmith. I made a shadow box from Black Walnut to display it in my shop. The brass plate is a copy of the signed affidavit I received from Skip with the book. Hans had two copies and one was signed by the author R. J. DeCristiforo. The affidavit tells the story.
Attachments
Skip's Affidavit
Skip's Affidavit
DSCF1121 (640x480).jpg (248.04 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
The Shadow Box
The Shadow Box
DSCF1198 (480x640).jpg (236.67 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
On Display
On Display
IMAG0027.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Re: Hans Goldschmidt's personal copy of PTWFE

Post by roy_okc »

Very nice display and congrats on getting a great piece of history.
Roy

Mark V/510, Mark V/500 with parts for 510 upgrade, bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, DC3300 w/1 micron bag
Sawstop 3HP 36" PCS w/router table insert
Home designed and built CNC router, another CNC router :D desktop size
CNCed G0704 milling machine
Laser engraver
Way too much other stuff and not enough space :rolleyes:
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

roy_okc wrote:Very nice display and congrats on getting a great piece of history.
I have done a lot of research on this and have the early history of the Shopsmith if anyone is interested. Right down to how Magna Engeneering got its name.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jsburger wrote:
roy_okc wrote:Very nice display and congrats on getting a great piece of history.
I have done a lot of research on this and have the early history of the Shopsmith if anyone is interested. Right down to how Magna Engeneering got its name.
I am listening! ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I am listening! ;)
As am I.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

JPG wrote:
jsburger wrote:
I am listening! ;)
OK, here it is.

Hans Goldschmidt was a German Jew that escaped Nazi Germany before the start of WWII. During the war he worked at the Kaiser Ship Yards in San Francisco as a time study engineer.

After the war he saw the advent of the home workshop and started to develop a home use multiple tool machine that the average home owner could afford and want. The 10E. However he didn't have the money to fund the project.

Enter the Chambers brothers. Bob Chambers had been Hans' boss at the Kaiser ship yards during the war. Hans contacted him and he agreed to fund the project along with his brother Frank. The Chambers brothers were from Salt Lake City Utah. There is a town about 15 miles west of Salt Lake called Magna. I am not sure if they ever lived there but I think it must be in their lineage.

I always wondered if that was where the name Magna Engineering came from. Now enter Doug Reed. You know the traveling demonstrator for SS. I went to every traveling academy when he came to Salt Lake. He sent me a picture of him with Bob Chambers and confirmed that Bob said that Magna Engineering was named for Magna UT.

He also told me that the SS in the picture was Bob''s personal machine and Bob gave it to him because nobody in the family wanted it.

Here is the obituary the Deseret News in Salt lake on the death of Bob Chambers in 2007. Notice the second line in the obituary...

"An advertising slogan for his first company,'My daddy can do anything, he has a Shopsmith!'".

Read on in the obituary he did amazing things. I think he may have been the driving force behind Shopsmith

FWIW, I can find almost nothing about Hans Goldschmidt.
Attachments
Bob Chambers and Doug Reed with Bob's MK V
Bob Chambers and Doug Reed with Bob's MK V
Bob Chambers.jpeg (311.61 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Bob Chambers Obituary0001.pdf
Bob Chambers Obituary
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 628 times
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Some years back I was able to dig up a reprint of The Saturday Evening Post March 29,1952. The title was The Easy Way to Get Rich by Frank J. Taylor.

Hans had the name "Mixmister" for our beloved machine... Glad they got rid of that name...... Special thanks to Bob Chambers' wife June for the new name.

And of course the story about Bob Chambers request to see how many men in the Magna organization were using shopsmiths in there leisure. When the report came back it read: "Everybody has a Shopsmith but Doctor Goldschmidt."(doctor of philosophy)

It is a fun read and I'm sure those who are interested enough will find it and read it.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

This was a very interesting read. Thank you guys for your postings. These articles really help to pull it all together.

They also show that the prejudices against a combination machine are as old as the machine. I also conclude that these prejudices were established based on the original machine and do not necessary apply to today's Shopsmith. Many will disagree with me on that but that is okay; this is what opinions are for.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.