Items "Not Currently Available"

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Items "Not Currently Available"

Post by algale »

In the last few days I have stumbled across something I've not seen before: products listed as "not currently available."

Among these are the power stands and the overhead pin router. I wonder whether these are discontinued items?

I have not looked to see whether there may be others.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Items "Not Currently Available"

Post by dusty »

The "not currently available" tag has been with us for as long as I remember but it was infrequent. I'd try not to read anything into this. I prefer to think that these items are just out of stock and replenish date is unknown.

Here is hoping they don't show up as weekly specials.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:The "not currently available" tag has been with us for as long as I remember but it was infrequent. I'd try not to read anything into this. I prefer to think that these items are just out of stock and replenish date is unknown.

Here is hoping they don't show up as weekly specials.
I ordered the Nova chuck package on 16 Feb when it was the email special. The confirmation email I got said it was out of stock :confused: :confused: :confused: . It did ship on 26 Feb and will be here today.

Why would the do an email special on something they don't have in stock?
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

If they run an email special that is much more successful than had they hoped or had logical reason to expect, what would the result be? An inventory shortage!! Unable to fill future orders until after replenishment.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

dusty wrote:If they run an email special that is much more successful than had they hoped or had logical reason to expect, what would the result be? An inventory shortage!! Unable to fill future orders until after replenishment.
Well, I did order on the last day so OK I'll buy that. :)
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I ordered the nova chuck the first day. Chuck arrived within 48 hours. Some of the add-on jaws are backordered.
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

paulrussell wrote:I ordered the nova chuck the first day. Chuck arrived within 48 hours. Some of the add-on jaws are backordered.
Well, you live next door to SS. Out here in the wild wild west it takes longer to get things. ;)

That is interesting that the add on jaws were back ordered. SS sells that package as standard all the time. Mine came with the extra jaws in the same box as shown on the web site with the SS logo on it. Of course, they probably print their own boxes with the SS logo and package it them selves with the extra jaws.

Mine arrived today. It was short one of the jaw attaching screws and had an extra set screw. Have to call SS tomorrow.
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT
crosscreekcraig
Gold Member

Post by crosscreekcraig »

I've noticed the same thing on certain items. I think "Not Currently Available" may mean "back order with no due date". I say that because of this page (the Router Pantograph):

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... ograph.htm

Notice it says specifically that the pantograph is discontinued. However, I've also noticed that not everything on the SS website is strictly consistent. So there's that.

Craig
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Sometimes it best if things are not available. As an example this one had me tempted especially at that price..........not.
worlds most vesatile shop apron.jpg
worlds most vesatile shop apron.jpg (228.95 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
crosscreekcraig
Gold Member

Post by crosscreekcraig »

Sometimes it best if things are not available. As an example this one had me tempted especially at that price..........not.
However, I've also noticed that not everything on the SS website is strictly consistent. So there's that.
I rest my case... ;-)