Gas grill recommendations???

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Gas grill recommendations???

Post by JPG »

letterk wrote:Ok, so that explains that I'm not losing my mind. JPG was does it matter? Because I think he probably decided on a grill during the 3 prior years, lol.
The thread starter fer sure.

Now tell us we did not gain additional brain fodder as a result of the spammer etc.. ;)

Often 'revived' old threads help new members and may provide understanding that evaded the original posters then.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

Well, since some brought up (or resurrected) this thread, I'll give my opinion.

Before the trailer fire, I had a Weber Performer charcoal kettle grill, the
one with the propane starter and the stainless steel side table.

I also had a homebuilt (my brother and I make them) 55 gallon drum upright
UDS smoker. Fill a charcoal chimney with mesquite chunk (my favorite)
charcoal, and light it on the Weber, then dump it on a pile of unlit charcoal,
in the charcoal basket of the UDS. Took an hour or so to dial in the temp, and
then, it would hold temps for 12 hours.

Best grilling or smoking setup around. Lit coals in 10 minutes. Start smoking
in 15 minutes, and 12 hour smoking time without refilling.

The equivalent of 2 Shopsmith ERs, because of the flexibility.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
Basic 10ER, Parts machine. Will be a semi-dedicated drill-press machine.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

Looking for one more, or some 9 inch extension table raisers.
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

I have had a few as have my son and my son-in-law. My opinion: stick with Weber. They seem to work very well, last for a long time, parts are readily available, and (I believe) are pretty much here in the good 'ol USA.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

OK, about 3 years ago, Memorial day, my boss back then
wanted a new grill. We went to Lowes, and he found a nice
Weber Genesis grill, but it needed to be assembled. He got a
discount, because it wasn't assembled, then the cashier asked
if he was a Veteran. Cut to the chase I bought it, because I
am, and we got a 10% discount, on top of the "un-assembled"
discount.

Guess who got both discount amounts, and an assembling fee?

Yep, and promptly spent at the (my employer's) store.

steve
10 ER, stripped down.
10 ER, a "survivor" of the trailer fire, in the back yard, needing restoration. Has a Mk5 headrest. Finally, stripped down.
Numerous parts, for Model 10 stuff. Except for lower saw guard, A and B adapters, I've got it.

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

skou wrote: . . .
Yep, and promptly spent at the (my employer's) store.

steve
Good Boy!!!!!! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

We've had our current Weber gas grill for about six years. We grill year round (I shovel the deck so we can use it) - steak, chicken, burgers, vegetables, brat, pizza etc. It's a below zero right now so I'm not inclined to run out and pull the cover off to find out which model it is. It is either from the upper end of the Spirit Series or the lower end of the Genesis Series. The electric starter lasted two years and while I can purchase a replacement it's just a easy to use a match. It's well made and cleans up and cooks very nicely. It has 3 burners plus a warmer on the side. This unit is certainly better than the Char Broil unit we had last.
skou
Platinum Member

Post by skou »

JPG wrote:
skou wrote: . . .
Yep, and promptly spent at the (my (former) employer's) store.

steve
Good Boy!!!!!! :cool:
Guess who isn't working there any more.

But STILL shops there?

Making $2 an hour more since they fired me,
but still shopping there. Yes, I DID thank the
boss for firing me! And, I meant it!

steve
10 ER, stripped down.

db5
Platinum Member

Post by db5 »

Probably too late for you to decide but this has worked for me:

I purchased a CharBroil in 1994 at HD for $100. It is a heavy duty aluminum casting and connects to my gas outlet from the fireplace which has an outside connection. I’ve had to replace the burners three times in 20 years. No replacement was with an original burner but one adapted from one I bought at either HD, Loews or a thrift store for less than $20 each. The first replacement was $19 and lasted 8 years. The last two were $10 and $4 respectively. Yes I had to make some adaptations but this was easily done with copper pipe. I still have one burner in reserve. So, total cost for all of this over 20 years has been $135 plus tax. That Aluminum grill doesn’t rust. I’ve cleaned and painted it three times and replaced some shelving (eliminated a side burner). A recent search showed an original replacement available for $21 at Amazon.

I have replaced the grills that came with it two or three times but with closeouts from HD or a thrift store. Cut them to size and you have what your want. I also don’t use the grills directly. They dry out what you are cooking. I use a Lodge griddle or large cast iron skillet. This keeps the moisture in and makes for better hamburgers, steak or seafood. It took me 15 years to wonder why everything from the grill was so dry and what I cooked on a griddle while in college was so much better. Two keys, no direct flame and high heat. You can get both by setting it up your way.

My son, has purchased 3 stainless steel (made in China) grills in the past 20 years at about quadruple the cost of mine. Two have rusted. The third will. Stainless steel? NOT. Finally, after some badgering, (and using a cast iron skillet I lent to him) he bought a Lodge griddle. BTW, don’t buy a cheaper one; Lodge costs about $5 more but never rusts as others do. Look for them at TJ Max and Marshall’s on a close-out.

You can find some of the HD aluminum grills at thrift stores. My neighbor threw on away last year that I'm converting to a Charcoal burner for smoking. Yes, you have to clean it but the quality of the grill is better and it has little upkeep and replacement cost.

If anyone wants pictures I’ll take some and post them of the grill and modifications made to accommodate different burners.
Attachments
This is the burner I found on Amazon today for $21.
This is the burner I found on Amazon today for $21.
Char Broil Original burner.JPG (13.67 KiB) Viewed 3226 times
paulrussell
Platinum Member

Post by paulrussell »

I am a recent convert to Weber grills. If you can afford/justify a Genesis, you will be a happy cooker. I have a Spirit (natural gas) and am very happy with it, but in the winter it has a bit more trouble keeping the temp steady. (Michigan).
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I vote Weber. I have a Weber gas grill powered by natural gas that gets used when I want to grill something fast with no smoke. My Weber kettle is my work horse. If It needs smoke it gets cooked the kettle unless its to big then it goes in the Smokey Mountain cooker. I also have a Smokey Joe Table top grill and a cast iron Lodge Sportsman grill. Something will get BBQed most every weekend.

Not only does Weber have good support but there is also a http://tvwbb.com/.

I BBQ mostly with Kingsford charcoal with Oak or Cherry for the smoke.