Need a New Blade for that Combination Square?

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Need a New Blade for that Combination Square?

Post by dusty »

There is a thread here on the forum regarding combination squares. After reading that, I got to looking at mine and decided I needed a new blade. I went looking and found a site that I thought I would pass on.

I got mine yesterday, three days after I ordered it. I could not be more pleased and it cost me only $10.00. I did not know who the manufacturer would be. The site does not say. All I knew was that I was getting a 12" ruler, graduated as I wanted and that it would have some cosmetic defects. A quality control reject. There are two blemishes neither of which effect my ability to read the markings. The blade I received was manufactured for Products Engineering and was Made in the USA.

If the blades on your combination squares are hard to read, messed up from being dropped on the concrete floor or whatever - you might want to check these folks out.

http://scales-rules.com/collections/com ... blade-only
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Need a New Blade for that Combination Square?

Post by dusty »

WORD of CAUTION

Combination square blades are not necessarily interchangeable. The blade that I just purchased will not fit into my Stanley head. The blade is thicker that the Stanley blade.
Last edited by dusty on Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Well, that's a bummer.
dusty wrote:WORD of CAUTION

Combination square blades are not necessarily interchangeable. The blade that I just purchased will not fit into my Stanley head. The blade is thicker that the Stanley blade.
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

Thanks for the heads up Dusty.

They also have good deals on rigid and flexible rules from 6" to 48" in a variety of graduations.

Jim
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but HF has a 6" and 12" stainless, etched rulers for $1.99.
I bought the 6" and it's accurate down to 1/64th. Although, that really doesn't matter. To my way of thinking, measurements are all relative, anyway.
I'm not a machinist, if you couldn't tell.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Gene Howe wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but HF has a 6" and 12" stainless, etched rulers for $1.99.
I bought the 6" and it's accurate down to 1/64th. Although, that really doesn't matter. To my way of thinking, measurements are all relative, anyway.
Good News: The blade works in my other combination square. Bad News: It did not correct the inaccuracies that brought this discussion to light.

Now to another point. How accurate does the combination square really need to be? It is a marking tool. Most of the time the cuts (at least mine) are made with the table saw whiling using the miter gauge. My combination square(s) are about equally inaccurate (1/32" over 12"). When I do use a hand saw, that degree of inaccuracy in the mark is the least of my worries.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

[/quote]
Good News: The blade works in my other combination square. Bad News: It did not correct the inaccuracies that brought this discussion to light.

Now to another point. How accurate does the combination square really need to be? It is a marking tool. Most of the time the cuts (at least mine) are made with the table saw whiling using the miter gauge. My combination square(s) are about equally inaccurate (1/32" over 12"). When I do use a hand saw, that degree of inaccuracy in the mark is the least of my worries.[/quote]

Exactly so X 2!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:
Gene Howe wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but HF has a 6" and 12" stainless, etched rulers for $1.99.

Now to another point. How accurate does the combination square really need to be? It is a marking tool. Most of the time the cuts (at least mine) are made with the table saw whiling using the miter gauge. My combination square(s) are about equally inaccurate (1/32" over 12"). When I do use a hand saw, that degree of inaccuracy in the mark is the least of my worries.

Accuracy and resolution are two different things.

If a combination square isn't accurate(90 and 45)the blade is not the cause unless bent(not straight).

Resolution is the distance separating the closest marks.

Accuracy is the maximum deviation from precise location of those marks.

The head is usually cast and the machining of the reference edges affects angular accuracy.

The blade has an internal reference surface(s) in the head that the blade slides against that also affects the angular accuracy.

Very fine resolution with poor accuracy is still inaccurate.

A cut off 1/32" over 12" off will create about .15 degree error.

Good enough? Depends upon what ye be making. ;)

I think paying attention to the miter gauge(or sled or whatever) is more productive to accurate(square) cuts than the 'layout device'. Trouble is, we use that 'layout device' as a check after the cut.

That is why the 5 cut or opposing corner test of the gauge/sled are better ways to 'check for square'. Then all things being perfectly aligned in the universe assumed, your cuts will always be square(ignoring technique :rolleyes: ).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I think paying attention to the miter gauge(or sled or whatever) is more productive to accurate(square) cuts than the 'layout device'. Trouble is, we use that 'layout device' as a check after the cut.
(slaps head) As long in the tooth as I am, I'm still finding that I'm doing things that make little sense. Thanks (I think) for showing me another, JPG.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Gene Howe wrote:
(slaps head) As long in the tooth as I am, I'm still finding that I'm doing things that make little sense. Thanks (I think) for showing me another, JPG.

Nothing 'wrong' with doing that. It simply is expedient. But it is not 'the best'.

It will make gross 'mishandling' evident. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange