Set Screws

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

robinson46176 wrote:One that I am fond of is a brass tipped set screw. Generally non marking on steel and reasonably self locking. I'm out right now but need to pick up some more. IIRC my Ace Hardware carries them but not very cheaply. Still it is cheaper than a drive to Indy. Then again there are an awfully lot of places to eat in Indy. ]16456[/ATTACH]

Shopsmith has been using a brass tip dog post set screw to stop/hold the quill for many years. I did check with them in July 2008 to confirm that they still did at that time. I have been using the brass tip dog post set screw in any headstock that the quill housing groove that this set set screw rides in has developed an sharp edge. I file and removed the edge and used a brass tip dog post set screw. I continued to use the steel tip dog post set screws in headstocks where no sharp edge on the quill housing groove had developed.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

billmayo wrote:Shopsmith has been using a brass tip dog post set screw to stop/hold the quill for many years. I did check with them in July 2008 to confirm that they still did at that time. I have been using the brass tip dog post set screw in any headstock that the quill housing groove that this set set screw rides in has developed an sharp edge. I file and removed the edge and used a brass tip dog post set screw. I continued to use the steel tip dog post set screws in headstocks where no sharp edge on the quill housing groove had developed.
Thank you for that feed back, Bill.

This sort of information would be well received by the user community if only Shopsmith would consider a periodic technical bulletin that distributed this sort of information.

For some reason, Shopsmith has made the technical decision to incorporate the brass tipped set screw but never told the user community. Therefore, I can only conclude that the original part is "just as good" or they would have told me to make a change.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Set Screws - My List of Setscrews used by Shopsmith

Post by dusty »

Using the Shopsmith Illustrated Drawings, I have compiled a list of all setscrews used in the Shopsmith equipment that I have (a few others have been included).

This was done so that when a setscrew got away from me, and hid somewhere, I would know what new setscrew to use. Size is normally not an issue but the point type to use is. Shopsmith documentation does not declare point type.

In the way of a disclaimer, I must say that the information contained in this chart is a summation of what is in my equipment and can in no way be linked to documentaton that was sourced by Shopsmith.

The user must accept this information at their own risk.

[ATTACH]16480[/ATTACH]

If you Google the part description, I believe you will get a return from the search engine but use that data with caution. It does not always match what you are using. Finding an online source that will sell you 1 or 2 will also be a problem.

PS I just opened the document on the forum and have detected some minor errors. I will attempt to correct those and repost here. In the way of an explanation, some data is just plain missing because I cannot determine what it is. Sorry about that. Known errors in the data or data that is questionable to me is entered in red to get my attention later.

I hope this is of some help to all of you.

When one of my daughters or grand kids come by, I'll try to remember to have them help me put proper headers on this document to make it easier to interpret.
Attachments
Shopsmith Setscrews, Version 5 for the Forum.doc
(82 KiB) Downloaded 1090 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Dusty
Great chart Thanks!

Now you may want to kill me after you read this.:eek:

But would it be possible to include a picture of each type of set screw?
Not one for each entry but just a picture of the each at the top or bottom of the chart.

That way we could print off the chart and take it into our shop and referrence it when we need a set screw. The picture would help us identify the right screw out of our container of "Shopsmith set screws"

Right now I think I know what a half dog looks like but next year at this time reading your chart I would wonder which is the half dog? Is there a full dog? Is it the one with point or the one with kurled bottom?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Dusty
Great chart Thanks!

Not one for each entry but just a picture of the each at the top or bottom of the chart.

That way we could print off the chart and take it into our shop and referrence it when we need a set screw. The picture would help us identify the right screw out of our container of "Shopsmith set screws"

Right now I think I know what a half dog looks like but next year at this time reading your chart I would wonder which is the half dog? Is there a full dog? Is it the one with point or the one with kurled bottom?

NO, absolutely not!

But, I have good news. You can get a reference pictures very easily.

The Fastenal website provides some great visuals and once there you can view other parts simply by revising the description.

Some other websites provide the same information but is not as easy to access.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Dusty
Great chart Thanks!

Yes, there is a full dog. It looks the same but is longer (deeper).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Yes, there is a full dog. It looks the same but is longer (deeper).

Yes a 'full' dog is bigger(longer) than a 'half dog(shorter)!

About as available as reed-prince screws!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

[quote="JPG40504"]Yes a 'full' dog is bigger(longer) than a 'half dog(shorter)!

About as available as reed-prince screws!]
Had to go look to see what a 'reed-prince' screw was....
Found this:
http://www.sizes.com/tools/screw_drive.htm
I now know what a 'reed-prince' is :)
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

In that I am given to asking stupid and otherwise ridiculous questions, do we need to be concerned about which half of the dog? Jim
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote:In that I am given to asking stupid and otherwise ridiculous questions, do we need to be concerned about which half of the dog? Jim
Only the half that 'remains'!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange