Shopsmith Bandsaw

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

foxtrapper wrote:I don't think there are any pat answers to your questions, just experiences, observations and personal preferences.

On stand alone or accessory mount with the band saw, I already had a Shopsmith, so accessory mount was what I wanted. If I didn't have a shopsmith, and didn't want one, then I'd think stand alone would be the only real option.

I have both the aluminum table and iron table saws. Both are fine. I like the groves in the aluminum table, it helps me set the fence. Aluminum is appreciably lighter, which if you go carrying your bandsaw around frequently, is nice.

Used is fine, mine was used when I got it, and is more used now. I would have no fear of a used bandsaw in good condition. You can judge one yourself pretty easily. Open the cover and rotate the big wheels the blade rides on. Do they roll smoothly, does the blade stay on. That's the biggies.

Bandsaws are not exciting tools. They don't explode or do anything vicious, even when they break. It's one of the things I very much like about them and why I use it far more than the table saw.

Very well said and all very true.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

I agree with the basic concept posted regarding the bandsaw. I purchased my first one from Shopsmith and upgraded the table later. The second one I purchased used and in final analysis had more invested to upgrade and repair it than if I had bought a new one. As to the uses I find common in my shop, pen blank cutting, rounding blank corners prior to turning for pens and bowls make turning a pleasure. Oh yes lathe tools require far less frequent sharpening that way. I can't even begin to list all of the quick simple cuts I make on nearly every project every single day I spend in the shop. My wife brings ideas for jigs she can use for crafts or sewing that are really simple to achieve on the bandsaw. The drop in tables around her machine were really simple to get just right with the bandsaw. Man I am impressed with its cornering ability. Come to think of it how did I live so many years without one. Which reminds me of a Craftsman bandsaw I talked myself into some nine or ten years ago. For the first few months it was fun. Then I began having issues with the quality. I needed a couple of small parts, which sears charged way too much for. I sold it and did without until my shopsmith arrived. I paid less for the upgrades for it then the replacements parts for the craftsman which still wouldn't function after repairs. I do need to add here that mine is set up on its own stand with a dedicated motor. That one decision increased its usage considerably. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
wh500special
Gold Member

Post by wh500special »

I am by no means a tool expert, but I do have opinions. :cool:

A few years ago after I got into this woodworking silliness, I shopped around for a bandsaw to complement my shop. I ended up buying Grizzly’s G0555 and have been very happy. It’s a 14”, 1-hp saw with aluminum wheels and a nice table. The fence is pretty good. Other than having a bad vibration when I first got it (Grizzly warranteed a new top wheel and tire which fixed the problem) it has been a super saw. I’m almost 100% happy.

I use it quite a bit with various blades and seldom find it lacking. Once in a while on a resaw task I can get it to bog down, but it really does quite well and I think most of its limitations are operator related rather than the tool’s fault. It is limited to 6” depth of cut but can be outfitted for another $80 to cut up to 12” deep. 6” has been sufficient for me…and I already have a bunch of blades which would be rendered obsolete if I added the riser.

I think it is a two-speed unit (change belt position) but I have never bothered with that. Perhaps on heavy tasks it needs to be slowed down.

When I picked up my Mk V 510 from a coworker it included a SS bandsaw. I assumed I’d never use it since I already had the Grizzly. But during my basement remodel it became a handy occasional-use item since I had the Mk V already sitting out in the middle of the room for other tasks.

Mine is the newer (1995-ish) aluminum table version. I’ve owned two cast iron table versions but didn’t put them to much of a test. A larger table – like the Al one – is better in my mind. I like the grooves on the Al table too since they seem to reduce sliding friction a wee bit.

Had I bought the Mk V and its bandsaw first, I wouldn’t have bothered with the Grizzly. I’ve found it easy to keep the blades running true and I haven’t had an occasion that it’s run out of power. Granted, I haven’t done much resawing, but the several 2x4’s and 2x6’s I had to split went thru like nothing. The blade ran (generally) true and the saw didn’t bog. Resaw capacity of SS’s “small” 11-inch saw is the same as many 14-inchers. And the big motor backing it up makes it a horse of a tool.

It does give up an inch or three of ripping/cross cut capacity to a 14” saw, but unless you have something obscenely thick those are tasks best left to other tools anyway.

I have no intentions of dumping my Grizzly since I really like it and I already own it. It’s a pretty nice piece of equipment (although the Shop Fox mobile base it’s on isn’t). I’d buy it again if I wanted a standalone tool. They've raised the price about $90 since I bought mine on sale, but it still is a pretty good value.

I like to cut dovetails with a bandsaw, and I envision eventually setting one saw up for this task semi-permanently…so having two is a real luxury. And my SS saw was essentially "free" since I didn't assign it much value when I bought my 510.

The only downside (to me) of the SS saw is the fact that it ties up your Mk V. If you’re bad at planning ahead – like I am:rolleyes: – you might want to consider a stand for it. Or a Power Station.

Steve
Steve
O'Fallon, IL

Went from Shopsmith wannabe to Shopsmith nut in 6 months. Started with a Mk V 510 and now have more SS stuff than anybody should.
chipmaster
Gold Member

Blade recommendations?

Post by chipmaster »

My new-to-me SS bandsaw came with a big 'ol 1/2-inch blade that is great for turning firewood into turning blanks but not so much for creating curvy pinewood derby designs. Locally, I'm limited to the big box stores and the import discount stores--no Woodcrafts around. Any recommendations on where to go from here? I'm a very cheap, er, frugal person BTW.

v/r,

Rick
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

chipmaster wrote:My new-to-me SS bandsaw came with a big 'ol 1/2-inch blade that is great for turning firewood into turning blanks but not so much for creating curvy pinewood derby designs. Locally, I'm limited to the big box stores and the import discount stores--no Woodcrafts around. Any recommendations on where to go from here? I'm a very cheap, er, frugal person BTW.

v/r,

Rick
Lowe's/Bosch?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

First off a 1/2 blade are for ONLY STRAIGHT lines. Look here for different sized blades.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/swedish-silicon-steel-prices/
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fiatben
Platinum Member

Yuuuup!

Post by fiatben »

JPG40504 wrote:Lowe's/Bosch?
Got one (1/8") on mine right now. Works pretty good for the price.

[ATTACH]15319[/ATTACH]

Three inch cube of aromatic red cedar.
Attachments
100_0035-1.JPG
100_0035-1.JPG (195.99 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.
chipmaster
Gold Member

Post by chipmaster »

Thanks--And cool puzzle!