Shopsmith Demo

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

ThankYou! I was not sure if you were referring to the M7 pivot/lock or something new on the lift assist.

I assume the 'set screw(big) stop' that previously existed on the head rest end is no more. The large pin and slot at both ends should eliminate the tendency to twist(way tubes etc.). However two adjustments have been lost. Hope that is good!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

JPG40504 wrote:ThankYou! I was not sure if you were referring to the M7 pivot/lock or something new on the lift assist.

I assume the 'set screw(big) stop' that previously existed on the head rest end is no more. The large pin and slot at both ends should eliminate the tendency to twist(way tubes etc.). However two adjustments have been lost. Hope that is good!:rolleyes:
The lift assist doesn't change. It is the M7 pivot locks that are superior to prior design. Oh one question I had was how does one make use of lift assist on other end. The headstock is removed all the way to the end opposite lift assist. Lift assist is detached at the top, the opposite end is lifted while top end of lift assist lays on the floor. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

Mike Jones of Idaho, who is conducting the Shopsmith Demos in Aurora CO called today to clarify a question I raised about the new wheel sets for Mark V's. He explained that if one uses the template correctly and doesn't attempt to modify it the results are fine. Time will tell as I ordered a set. I got a kick out of him a couple of times during his demo he ask me to show of the pen and pencil in my pocket. This morning he really puffed up my ego and explained the set I use every day are about the best work he has seen. Now I need to find a pin to deflate my ego. Oh wait my granddaughter is coming here for the night, she always does a good job in that department:p Fjimp
F. Jim Parks

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

fjimp wrote:Mike Jones of Idaho, who is conducting the Shopsmith Demos in Aurora CO called today to clarify a question I raised about the new wheel sets for Mark V's. He explained that if one uses the template correctly and doesn't attempt to modify it the results are fine. Time will tell as I ordered a set. I got a kick out of him a couple of times during his demo he ask me to show of the pen and pencil in my pocket. This morning he really puffed up my ego and explained the set I use every day are about the best work he has seen. Now I need to find a pin to deflate my ego. Oh wait my granddaughter is coming here for the night, she always does a good job in that department:p Fjimp
Wonder what 'fine' means! Too many have questioned the result and I do not think any of them has attempted to 'modify' the installation.

Tis possible there are different piston bore depths?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

JPG40504 wrote:Wonder what 'fine' means! Too many have questioned the result and I do not think any of them has attempted to 'modify' the installation.

Tis possible there are different piston bore depths?
To be clear on that front - I didn't deviate and got what I consider sub-par results on the casters. Oh, and SS customer service never emailed me back on the topic
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

damagi wrote:To be clear on that front - I didn't deviate and got what I consider sub-par results on the casters. Oh, and SS customer service never emailed me back on the topic
They do not do e-mail well!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

JPG40504 wrote:They do not do e-mail well!
As often as we have discussed Shopsmith not responding to email well makes me wonder if one has a potential issue why it is we don't pick up the phone and resolve it.
F. Jim Parks

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I have not purchased new wheels and therefore have not experienced the issue regarding the template; however, there have been too many negative experiences reported here to accept that the template is "fine" and provides "fine" results.

Using my wheels, on the 510 and/or520, I experience the same problems. The legs are not lifted quite far enough off the floor and therefore occasionally drag. This happens with original (unmodified) equipment.

This leads me to believe that maybe the Shopsmith folks do not understand the issue. Either that or they have a nice smooth floor in the factor test area.

I think they make a mistake by dismissing this complaint without some significant study.

Maybe this is what happens when a service provider suffers with a budget shortfall.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Just saw a demo in manassas, va yesterday. Love the high RPM's and smooth operation. Very cool to see it live.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

[quote="dusty"]I have not purchased new wheels and therefore have not experienced the issue regarding the template]

Old / new, modified / unmodified, Flat washers will raise the 'operational' positions. Put over the stem between the piston and the swivel frame.

Just be sure to not overdo it so as to keep the legs from firmly resting on the floor in 'lowered' position.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝