Pen turning

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

professorgt
Bronze Member

Post by professorgt »

bettyt44720 wrote: i reccomend the 5/8" bore to 1"x8tpi spindle adapter so that you can use most commonly available lathe accessories on your shopsmith. feel free to ask any specific questions you may have. i have turned about 250 pens on my shopsmith so you may know that the standard shopsmith toolrest works very well.
Bob,

Is this 5/8 spindle adapter you mention a SS part? Where can I get one?
Thanks,
GT
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

professorgt wrote:Bob,

Is this 5/8 spindle adapter you mention a SS part? Where can I get one?
Thanks,
GT
Penn state industries sells one, and you can also get a 5/8" smooth bore -> 1" 8 tpi adapter at woodcraft.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Nope it's knot a SS part. Here's what I THINK he's talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-L5818-Headstock-Shopsmith/dp/B000KIEC88

Also sold by PennState

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/L5818.html
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
RobertTaylor
Platinum Member

Bob is right

Post by RobertTaylor »

beeg is correct. that adapter allows me to use any standard 1"x8tpi lathe accessory on my shopsmith.i have collet chucks, lathe chucks, threaded pen mandrels and even pennstates new drive center set all with the 1"x8tpi threads and use them on my shopsmith. all with good results. here are pictures of some of my latest projects.
Attachments
IMG_7540 (Small).JPG
IMG_7540 (Small).JPG (27.02 KiB) Viewed 4024 times
IMG_7541 (Small).JPG
IMG_7541 (Small).JPG (27.07 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
IMG_7542 (Small).JPG
IMG_7542 (Small).JPG (26.19 KiB) Viewed 4007 times
IMG_7539 (Small).JPG
IMG_7539 (Small).JPG (33.81 KiB) Viewed 4013 times
IMG_7544 (Small).JPG
IMG_7544 (Small).JPG (32.17 KiB) Viewed 4005 times
Bob
1954 greenie, 1963 anniversary edition now a mini,
1984 500, 1985 510, 1987 510, pro-planer, bandsaw, dust collector
ddvann79
Gold Member

Post by ddvann79 »

jltrice wrote:I have a Shopsmith 510. I have not used the lathe yet. I am interested in turning some small things, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. Can I do it on my Shopsmith? I only have the spur drive center. Are there options for driving from a MT2 arbor? It also appears that the tool rest cannot be placed close enough for these small items???

Any insights to this type of turning would be appreciated.
Here's Shopsmith's online version of Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone pertaining to the lathe. It discusses the small stuff about 2/3s of the way down but doesn't address pen turning or a pen mandrel specifically.
Dalton
Fort Worth, Texas
1962 MK 5 #373733 Goldie
bigeddy
Gold Member

my experience with pen turning

Post by bigeddy »

jltrice wrote:I have a Shopsmith 510. I have not used the lathe yet. I am interested in turning some small things, pens, bottle stoppers, etc. Can I do it on my Shopsmith? I only have the spur drive center. Are there options for driving from a MT2 arbor? It also appears that the tool rest cannot be placed close enough for these small items???

Any insights to this type of turning would be appreciated.
I have 2 greenies and 1 of them came with a 1/4 router chuck. I went to rockler and bought a mandrel and lo and behold the mandrel fit in the 1/4 router chuck. Just my 2 cents as I am a newbie but it works great for me. And those you can get from SS. I hope you enjoy making pens as much as I do. Good Luck and Please be safe.
2 Greenies 1st one 282274 10/54 , 2nd one 293858 3/55 :D
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

These were turned on the PSI Mandrel for shopsmith I think it works great.

The green and black are new materials to me called rigid urethanes. Where I work does rapid prototyping and urethane castings are part of the product offerings. The material came from the scrap that occurs when they pour the materials into larger molds it goes through 1/2" or 5/8" tubes and is just thrown away after the parts are removed from the molds. The Casting department manager is going to keep his eye out for these longer than 2 1/2" so I can do more. I gave him the black pen. I must say that these urethane materials really machine nicely. Finishing takes a bit more effort though as tool marks some effort to remove. Once the tooling marks are gone though, final sanding is pretty easy since every scratch shows, it's easy to see when to go to the next higher grit.

The top pen is segmented maple inside of mahogany drilled on a daigonal in designer style with Gunmetal hardware, sanded to0 800 grit with a CA finish which was then sanded to 2000 grit.

The middle pen is AFP 3600 a new material for our company tinted forest green. slimline style with gold hardware. sanded to 2000 grit for a nice satin finish.

The bottom pen is AFP 3100 tinted black designer style with gunmetal hardware. sanded to 2000 grit and then polished with McGuire's scratchX it left a very nice satin finish.

[ATTACH]12095[/ATTACH]
Attachments
DSC00623Small.jpg
DSC00623Small.jpg (162.59 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
professorgt
Bronze Member

Shopsmith Pen Turning

Post by professorgt »

Well, being totally new to this wonderful "hobby" has my head swirling with ideas and so on, and I can't wait to jump into the fray!

So, questions, questions, questions!

I went to the woodworking show here in NJ last weekend in Somerset, and spent way too much money, but I'm not sure I have what I really need to do things right. I have a mandrel with a MT2 and the fellow I got it from said to just unscrew the mandrel from the taper and mount it up in my 3 jaw chuck on my SS.

Now I'm thinking that I really don't like that idea and would rather do something else, like use this dedicated chuck from Penn State Ind to mount the mandrel and use it to drill blanks also:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html

Mounted with this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/L5818.html

This would eliminate having to flip things around to drill blanks, in which case I would mount my drill chuck into the tailstock support to drill, and then just use this "mandrel saver" to support the end of the mandrel when turning.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMSTS2.html

I'm assuming this would eliminate the need for the dedicated SS mandrel which mounts directly to the quill, such as this:

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKM-CL.html

My other question: With a typical blank being only a few inches long, it seems as though the standard rest will be too long to get close enough to the blanks to turn them properly, so ...........

Will the short SS 4" lathe tool rest work, or should I get another stock rest and cut it down to the exact size I need?

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks!
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

professorgt wrote:My other question: With a typical blank being only a few inches long, it seems as though the standard rest will be too long to get close enough to the blanks to turn them properly, so ...........

Will the short SS 4" lathe tool rest work, or should I get another stock rest and cut it down to the exact size I need?

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thanks!
Hi :)
I just use the standard tool rest and it snugs up very nicely to the pen turning blank.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Proffessor;
The last pic in your post is the correct mandrel for the SS. However you CAN remove the MT2 taper from the other mandrels and use the SS drill chuck. Just don'grab the mandrel shaft by the threads.:eek:
You can use the SS in drill press mode either vertical or horizontal to drill the blanks. A fixture similar to this one can be made from scrap material for drilling.

[ATTACH]12103[/ATTACH]

Stop back often and post some pics of your projects.
Bill V
Attachments
drilling fixture.jpg
drilling fixture.jpg (39.95 KiB) Viewed 4028 times