dove tail joints

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

mistystarz wrote:Can anyone please tell me what is the easiest way to make dove tail joints and
what tool is the best to use ? Or should I with my limited knowledge use some other type of joint to make a box?? I sure like the way dove tails look tho..

This is a little late and you have had excellent guidence. However you asked, "Or should I with my limited knowledge use some other type of joint to make a box??" So Thought I'd offer up some different joints that will work for box construction.

First there's the BOX JOINT. This is a strong joint that interlocks somewhat like dovetails.
[ATTACH]7325[/ATTACH]

There is the plain butt joint that can be reinforced with screws and/or dowels/pegs. (No picture)

There is a rabit joint that also can be reinforced with screws, dowels, splines nails or staples. Both the drawer box and drawer have rabet joints:
[ATTACH]7356[/ATTACH]

There is a single or double dado joint.
Single - If you think of this joint without the false drawer front - you would have a good box joint!
[ATTACH]7329[/ATTACH]

Double dado -
[ATTACH]7324[/ATTACH]
Attachments
double dado drawer joint.jpg
double dado drawer joint.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
close-up knob.jpg
close-up knob.jpg (140.39 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
HPIM1872.jpg
HPIM1872.jpg (117.8 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
HPIM1782.jpg
HPIM1782.jpg (133.2 KiB) Viewed 979 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA