Garage heaters

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Thanks Capt. Benson. I appreciate the information. If I go with gas then I will definitely go with a sealed unit.
I am leaning towards electric at this point since I don't mind wearing a flannel and a vest, I just don't want to wear insulated Carhart coveralls while I'm trying to enjoy working the wood, or working on a vehicle.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

RonnyL wrote:Have been heating my garage with a 35,000 BTU propane heater and when garage comes up to temp shut it off and just use my electric heater on ceiling]http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 70_595_595[/url]
This heater does a good job keeping it warm but has a hard time getting it up to temp. so the propane heater. Never start any project with propane heater running, you know - open flame(my name is not Tim Taylor).
What I wish I would have went with is this heater;
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/ ... _200307959

This is the ideal heater in my humble opinion and I may put one up in the near future.
Good luck in your selection
Ron
Thanks to everyone for the information.
Ms. Wolf ordered one of these from Northern Tool as my Christmas present. Wiley maneuver really, as it will enable me to spend more time in the shop working on projects and repairing our old vehicles.:D
The selling points for me were that #1 it was made in the USA, #2 I decided to go with an electric model for safety and it would have been a long run to get gas there, #3 It has the BTU range I was looking for in our somewhat mild climate (might get into the 20's a few days a year but damp and cool in the winter) #4 the site listed the price of the unit as many of the sites I researched were manufacturer sites that wanted me to order trough a local dealer.

Now I need to find an electrician to help me figure out the jumbled wiring in our garage and get it installed correctly.
Then insulate that puppy. LOL

Thanks again!
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Congratulations! Your Wife is a Jewel!!! ATTA GIRL, MRS. WOLF!!!!

My guess is your electrician will want recommend installing a new 220 V breaker in your circuit box - then run a new dedicated line for the heater. At least it would be a simple way to do it, provided the circuit box has enough capacity.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
wgander
Gold Member

heater

Post by wgander »

Good choice; I plan on going with the propane model.
Too long to extend the gas line (100'+) but I have space to mount an LP tank in the alley alongside the shop (where it will be pretty much out of sight).
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

[quote="wgander"]Good choice]Keep in mind that the burning of propane creates a lot of moisture. You may want to consider a dehumidifier as well. :) Also, you may knot want to use any flamables (finishes) during the "heating" season.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

charlese wrote:Congratulations! Your Wife is a Jewel!!! ATTA GIRL, MRS. WOLF!!!!

My guess is your electrician will want recommend installing a new 220 V breaker in your circuit box - then run a new dedicated line for the heater. At least it would be a simple way to do it, provided the circuit box has enough capacity.
She is a gem for putting up with me, fer shure.:D

I think she is removing all barriers (ie, excuses) for me to finish projects.:o

I was thinking that I'd have them run a dedicated line to its own box as ours is packed and in need of replacement. I believe it is the same circuit box that was installed when the house was built in the 1960's, we are constantly tripping circuits in the house, the garage hasn't been a problem to date.
Home remodel ahead. LOL
RonnyL
Bronze Member

Garage Heaters

Post by RonnyL »

Pinkie

For sure you will need a 30 amp dedicated circuit for that heater. After reading these posts, I have almost decided to install the larger model in place of the one that is up there now. It requires a 50 amp circuit, but, that would be better that some of the outcomes of heating with gas. I have a well insulated garage so this option may be the best bet.

I built the garage for me and my wife took half -- is that reason enough to revoke her jewel status? Huh!

Ron
Knowledge gained but not shared is knowledge lost

Ronny
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

John and others:

I have installed a 35,000 BTU Reznor propane heater in my Upper Peninsula shop. It features a separated combustion system. The air used for combustion is brought in from outside. There is no "open flame" which makes it much safer for use in a woodworking shop. I've also found that the outer case does not get much hotter than the ambient air.

https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udas.html
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Ralph, those are nice, I just have so much to do on this house and we won't be settling here. When I graduate this will become a rental so the electric just works in my situation.

However, if I can swing a shop in a few years I'd love one of the Reznor heaters. Capt. Benson posted the link to that site and they seem top notch, construction, paint, and the separate ignition chamber.
ht1985
Silver Member

Ductless HVAC

Post by ht1985 »

I've just been reading the posts on garage heating and an idea came to mind that one of the Ductless (Mini-Split) HVAC systems might be just the ticket. They are a little pricey starting at around $500 to $600 for a 9,000 BTU unit. Minimum for my garage would be about 12,000 BTU's, $900 to $1,000. I been looking at those for my sun room but have knot considered it for the garage.