Garage heaters

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

garage "heater"

Post by JPG »

Makes sense in chatsworth! You probably need AC more often than HEAT.:) :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ht1985
Silver Member

Post by ht1985 »

It gets hot in Chatsworth. Sometimes, I think my garage is the hottest place on earth in the summer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Garage heaters

Post by dusty »

ht1985 wrote:It gets hot in Chatsworth. Sometimes, I think my garage is the hottest place on earth in the summer.
Well, it might be but I doubt it. I've never been to your neck of the woods but I still doubt it.

Even here in the Arizona desert I suspect it gets hotter than Chatsworth. I also suspect that you have very few times when the temperature is greater than 105 for days upon days.

Don't get me wrong though. I am here by choice. I love the warm weather here. This cold snap that we are experiencing right now would be my complaint about the weather. The night time temperatures the last three nights have been in the mid 30s; days only warmed to the low 50s with a bit of rain. Did not even go out into the shop.:rolleyes:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Dusty:

Here in Gainesville the Winter is pretty mild. We started at 40 degrees today (12/31), but by noon it was in the 60's. I've insulated the garage, including the door, and this has made a big difference. The shop now seldom gets below 60. I have a small 5100 BTU ceramic type electric heater, and this is all I need.

However, the Summers are hot and humid. When I rebuilt one wall on the garage I installed a "thru the wall" 12,000BTU A/C unit. Even though I'm not here that often in the Summer, the A/C helps to keep the humidity down and protects tools from rust.
wgander
Gold Member

heat pumps

Post by wgander »

Thanks for bringing up the subject.
I had a chance to buy one for the shop when we had central air added to the home last year but couldn't afford it.
My one concern was how much heat they put out: all the ads emphasize cooling. I need both heating and cooling for the shop in western PA.
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

Heat + Humidity = Miserable

If I were in that climate I think I would have gone with one of the units like you see in a hotel/motel, Heating and Cooling Capabilities in one package... that doesn't take up a lot of space.
They are a bit pricy but I think worth the investment.

I remember well... August in central Illinois could be brutal, especially when you have to work in it.
I feel your pain!
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
dicksterp
Gold Member

Post by dicksterp »

You might check out this place. http://www.airconditioner.com/ROOM_HEAT ... IONERS.asp

They seem to have all types. I was looking for an AC + heat pump for my garage/shop. This spring I plan to build a wall across the back of the garage (it's 40' deep) to give me a 16'D x24'W room for my shop. I am leaning more now to having separate heating and AC in it. The garage as it is now has approx. 1100 sq ft under roof. This is a tad bit more than I want to heat and cool.:eek:
Dick

SS equipment. '89 510 (upgrade to 520), beltsander, pro planer, SS dust collector, 2 bandsaws, jointer, strip sander (production unit #1), OPR, scroll saw, Power Station, Incra TSIII Ultra Fence System& Wonder Fence plus (2) 50 year old DeWalt RASs and Incra miter express with miter gauge
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

In the "For What It's Worth" department I just installed a new Friedrich Heat Pump in my shop a couple of weeks ago. The shop is approximately 625 sq ft with an eight foot ceiling. I got the unit from Abe's of Maine for just over $1000. Bought it because the last one I had (same make and model) lasted over 14 years running 24/7/365. Texas has HOT summers (although not as hot as at Chuck's place :D) and the couple of months of so-called "winter" can have temps in the 20s but rarely into the teens. This heat pump handles both the heat and the cold and keeps my shop at a nice 70 degrees year 'round.

If you're in the market for a heat pump give Abe's of Maine (http://www.abesofmaine.com) a look-see. Free shipping helps on a window unit!
BTW, although the name says Maine - they're in NJ - go figure.

I have NO connection with the vendor except as a satisfied customer.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
JPG
Platinum Member

"Heat"

Post by JPG »

I'll take AZ 105 @ lo humudity over GA 85 @ high humidity ANYTIME!!! Heat is one thing, perspiration(dripping not evaporating) is another.

Only thing worse is BOTH(NAM)!:o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

jpg40504 wrote:I'll take AZ 105 @ lo humudity over GA 85 @ high humidity ANYTIME!!! Heat is one thing, perspiration(dripping not evaporating) is another.

Only thing worse is BOTH(NAM)!:o

Then you would love Florida with 94 temps and 100% humidity. Perspiration doesn't just drip it pours!

I love the talk about rust and high humidity, ever see the mark a sweaty arm inadvertently laid on a cast iron or even aluminum and forgotten about makes a couple of days later. Got to have Air conditioning!!!
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!