Removing Bandsaw Tires

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

In the recent past, SS had shipped out these tires that were the wrong size. Is that a possibility in your case?
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

I measured the circumference of the tire after it came off the first time. It was 31". I believe in the other thread, Nick said the tires should be about 30". The off spec tires SS had at one time were 32". I didn't measure the tires when I first got them.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

eldyfig wrote:I measured the circumference of the tire after it came off the first time. It was 31". I believe in the other thread, Nick said the tires should be about 30". The off spec tires SS had at one time were 32". I didn't measure the tires when I first got them.
Yes, yes, yes. I read that in your earlier post, but isn't it still possible that the one you have, that does not stay on, is the wrong size? Or do you think that you stretched it? I think that it wood be to your benefit to call SS and talk to them about it. I am not so sure that you did stretch the Urethane Tire in a way that it could not return to it's proper size.:confused:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

I plan on calling SS today or tomorrow. I don't think I stretched it any more than procedure calls for. They both went on fairly easily as long as I used some clamps to hold them as I went around the wheels.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
timster68
Gold Member

Post by timster68 »

eldyfig wrote:I plan on calling SS today or tomorrow. I don't think I stretched it any more than procedure calls for. They both went on fairly easily as long as I used some clamps to hold them as I went around the wheels.
Sounds like they might be too large. I tried the clamp trick to no avail. Then had to heat them in water and retried the clamp trick but couldn't manage with just my hands. Had to use theshaft of a screw driver to get them on - it's a tight fit. So if it isn't tight, they might be the 'larger' ones.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

Thanks for the reassurance. I do hope that is what it is. I haven't called SS yet. I slept all day yesterday before coming to work last night because when I get off this morning, I am heading to the boat ramp. Gonna spend a day on the water so I can bring home some snapper for dinner.

Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
mtobey
Gold Member

Post by mtobey »

Thought maybe you were going to send Nick, or the closest Shopsmith person to "sleep with the fishes." Remember the Lord doesn't count time spent fishing against your ticket.mt
1983 Mark V- beltsander, jigsaw, Stripsander,jointer, bandsaw-double carriage and tables with molders and drums, Over Arm Pin Routers(Freestanding x 2)Second Mark V.:D
randythewoodchuck
Gold Member

Blue Painter Tape and BS Tires

Post by randythewoodchuck »

I recently replaced the bandsaw tires. After cleaning the wheels, I started threading the polyurethane tires on. About every 2 inches I used the blue painters tape to secure them. Hand to wind it around several times to give the tape enough strength to hold. As the tape doesn't leave residue, it seemed reasonable to us-an especially as it was the only thing I had near at hand. It worked well. I did have to use a screwdriver at the very end to lift the last of the tire onto the wheel. Then I just removed the tape and it was done.
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

From what I am hearing, my tires were too easy to put on. Called SS today. They are sending me new tires. They said they should be 30". I'll measure before I put them on. The ones I have now that came off are 31". I was able to slide the top tire off with no tools. The bottom was sliding off while using the BS. Found it before it came all the way off.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz
eldyfig
Gold Member

Post by eldyfig »

A follow up on my urethane BS tire issue...

I received my replacement tires. Measured them first. They were 30". Installed them using pony clamps and an old dulled flat head screwdriver. Didn't put them in hot water this time. It was a bit tough, but I got them on. They seem tight. Haven't tested them out yet though.
Tony
Folkston, GA
Cool Customz