Seeking advice ... miter of choice.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

camerio wrote: I do not know or have not ask for re-seller here in Canada. I should have ask.

Have a look here.

http://www.general.ca/pg_index/Distribu ... qc_en.html
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Seems that the Incra 2000 series miter gauge is no longer available. It is not listed on the Shopsmith website or the Incra website and it may be possible they have replaced it with new and improved versions of some of their older model miters.
Thats a shame too because I really like the accuarcy of the 2000 that I use when cutting pieces for segmented woodturnings. It works flawless in creating the angles I need.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

camerio wrote: It ( the SS one at least ) is made in Taiwan now

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Shopsmith version and the "non-Shopsmith" version is the miter slot bar. So, if only the miter slot bar is made in Taiwan, most of it is made in the USA. If that is not true, then most of all of both are made in Taiwan. But then so are computers.........
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
dan1999
Gold Member

Osbourne Mitre

Post by dan1999 »

Well now you guys did it! Because of what I read here, on Osbourne site, and elsewhere I called up Osbourne and ordered the mitre I hope you guys are happy you cost me money. Seriously I like what I saw and am happy to buy it, I will report back my findings in a few months or so. The cost was $109, and shipping to Montreal, Quebec was $29.05 I got a $10 discount because of free shipping to the lower 48 which they couldn't give me in Canada.
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

Dan 1999-

When you get your Osborne miter gauge, you will notice that it was designed for the larger table used by the 510 and 520. It will work on the older 500 (like I have) but you have to position the smaller table near the right extension table to support the long arm. Not a major problem for me since many cross cuts I make require the extension table for support anyway. Just a minor inconvenience to me anyway.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

anmius wrote:As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Shopsmith version and the "non-Shopsmith" version is the miter slot bar. So, if only the miter slot bar is made in Taiwan, most of it is made in the USA. If that is not true, then most of all of both are made in Taiwan. But then so are computers.........
anmius, here is what David, the president of the company wrote to me :
"The second issue (question that I raised in my email to him) is that the EB3SS is now made in Taiwan. It is still high quality and guaranteed. If they were produced in the US the cost would be about 60% higher, and I believe we would be out of business."
The difference is that it could be subject to duties when imported here because it is not being completely made in the US. Under the NAFTA accord between our countries since the tenth anniversary of this accord in 2004, when a product is made in US, there is no duties imposed on it just the sale taxes. I do not know what the rate of duties are but the taxes here are at 15% on the price and the shipping of the item so if you add duties and taxes on the fee of it, it could come to much more than you thought you would pay.
Somebody sent me a list of dealers in Canada for the Osbourne, I will see for how much they sell the miter. Of course, it wont be the SS one but I have an extra miter bar and I will try to see if I can make it work by adapting it.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
dan1999
Gold Member

Osbourne Mitre

Post by dan1999 »

Well Gentlemen I received my Osbourne today and had it up and running within a half hour, did some test cuts and it was totally accurate right out of the box. Did real good at 90 and at 45, good workmanship, final price through Osbourne was $141.32 Cdn no additional duties were levied. Had I purchased it through a local distributor I would have paid $142.57 Cdn (Cdn and US almost Par) but I would have had to wait because they don't stock the Shopsmith version. I got it quicker and cheaper by purchasing it through the States. I wish I had purchased it earlier would have come in handy just finished a major cabinetmaking project and the ease of repetitive milling from the Osbourne would have made the job quicker. All in all a good investment.
Mark V 520,Mark V 510(2),Mark V 500(2) Dust Collector(2), Jointer(2), bandsaw(2), jigsaw, beltsander, biscuit joiner(2) Lathe Duplicator, RingMaster, Pro planer