Seeking advice ... miter of choice.

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

woodburner
Gold Member

Post by woodburner »

Shopsmith offers the Incra 2000 Miter Gauge which does work very well on my Shopmith. Not only does it have 1-degree increments, but also 1/10-degree increments, and all are repeatable. I'm very happy with it and was worth the cost.
The miter bar included with the 2000 is made to fit the Shopsmith miter tracks and is adjustable so there is no side-to-side or sloppy movement, keeping it on track with the saw blade.
If I ever want to use it on another tablesaw, all I need to do is change out the miter bar. You can purchase different size bars direct from Incra.
Sawdust & Shavings,
Woodburner:o
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

woodburner wrote:Shopsmith offers the Incra 2000 Miter Gauge which does work very well on my Shopmith. Not only does it have 1-degree increments, but also 1/10-degree increments, and all are repeatable. I'm very happy with it and was worth the cost.
The miter bar included with the 2000 is made to fit the Shopsmith miter tracks and is adjustable so there is no side-to-side or sloppy movement, keeping it on track with the saw blade.
If I ever want to use it on another tablesaw, all I need to do is change out the miter bar. You can purchase different size bars direct from Incra.
I have searched for the 2000 on SS site and Incra, could not find it there. I found a description on woodpeck.com but could not see if they were selling it, there was accessories for sale at the bottom of the page but not the 2000.
Do you see it somewhere, may be I have overlooked it, I even did a Google search ...
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

Incra also sells shopsmith miter bars
for the v120, 2000, 5000, and Miter Express,

Some of these may be interchangeable as well. Phone number for Incra is on the site.

https://www.incrementaltools.com/Articles.asp?ID=190
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

I have the Incra 5000 miter sled, which I really like. A feature of the sled is the quadrant can be removed and mounted directly to the sled's miter bar. The result is an Incra Miter 3000se miter gauge with a longer telescoping fence.
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
anmius
Gold Member

Post by anmius »

For accuracy and support, I can't beat my Osborne miter gauge on my Shopsmith except by my crosscut sled.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/index.htm
________________________________________________________________________________________________
1981 Mark V 500, bandsaw, belt sander, jig saw, jointer; contractor's table saw; multiple circular saws and miter saws; and a trailer full of tools.

"It is better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Abraham Lincoln
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

anmius wrote:For accuracy and support, I can't beat my Osborne miter gauge on my Shopsmith except by my crosscut sled.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/index.htm
Yes and it is on sale at 109US$ and free shipping for the states.
Should I order one ?
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw
dusty
Platinum Member

Seeking advice ... miter of choice.

Post by dusty »

camerio wrote:Yes and it is on sale at 109US$ and free shipping for the states.
Should I order one ?

I would not. I would find an Incra product to do the job.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
moose
Gold Member

Post by moose »

I also use the Osborne and consider it to easily be the equal of the Incra products. Due to the bracing of this instrument, it is rarely necessary to use a cross cut slider. It's all in what you're used to and where your confidence lies. I also have and use the Incra 2000 but my personal taste is the Osborne.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

camerio wrote:Yes and it is on sale at 109US$ and free shipping for the states.
Should I order one ?
My two cents for what it is worth.

I believe the Osborne EB3 to be superior to most other miter gauges.

For what it is worth Norm on New Yankee tried many different miter gauges and I believe he settled on the Osborne.

It makes sense for rigidity a triangle is king and the Osborne uses a triangle type arrangement to set and hold the desired angle.

I don't know how the price of the Osborne compares to the INCA gauge but if it were me and I could afford $109 I would buy the Osborne.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
camerio
Platinum Member

Post by camerio »

Ed in Tampa wrote:My two cents for what it is worth.

I believe the Osborne EB3 to be superior to most other miter gauges.

For what it is worth Norm on New Yankee tried many different miter gauges and I believe he settled on the Osborne.

It makes sense for rigidity a triangle is king and the Osborne uses a triangle type arrangement to set and hold the desired angle.

I don't know how the price of the Osborne compares to the INCA gauge but if it were me and I could afford $109 I would buy the Osborne.
I have received an email from the president of the Osborne. He was telling me that at 109$ it could not be shipped over the border free. So there is some shipping cost of about $28.45 plus a fee if I use paypal to pay. But they were offering me to pay directly to them with a credit card.
It ( the SS one at least ) is made in Taiwan now, so there could be some duties to pay on top of that because not made in USA. I do not know or have not ask for re-seller here in Canada. I should have ask.
Anyway I am undecided yet.
There is Elite Tools on Ebay, they are just on the other side of the St-Lawrence River opposite me, the sell the incra and were even promoting the 5000 SS Incra so that is something to look at.
Thanks every one for giving me such good advice.
Camerio
MarkV 520 & Band saw