new and dumb

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jenkins
Bronze Member

new and dumb

Post by jenkins »

i bought a older used ss and i did the unthinkable turned the knob without the thing turning so all i should need is the new knob that the gear teeth stripped on?
algale
Platinum Member

Re: new and dumb

Post by algale »

If you only turned the speed up you may not have done any damage. Most damage is done turning from fast too slow. Any way, if you haven't already done so, take some time and read this http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... =10&t=7092 and do the recommended maintenance and watch the videos it links to. By the time you are finished you will be able to fully open up the headstock and assess things.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

jenkins
Bronze Member

Post by jenkins »

no it was fast to slow and the speed control knob gears split. i ordered the knob and the gear that the speed ring is rotated by the speed control knob/wheel thing
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jenkins wrote:no it was fast to slow and the speed control knob gears split. i ordered the knob and the gear that the speed ring is rotated by the speed control knob/wheel thing
Usually only the knob teeth get damaged.

It would be a good idea to check the quadrant gear teeth(porkchop).

Lesson: If it doesn't move easily(or at least 'normally'), do not increase force! Applies to many things other than the SS. ;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jenkins
Bronze Member

Post by jenkins »

JPG wrote:
jenkins wrote:no it was fast to slow and the speed control knob gears split. i ordered the knob and the gear that the speed ring is rotated by the speed control knob/wheel thing

Lesson: If it doesn't move easily(or at least 'normally'), do not increase force! Applies to many things other than the SS. ;)
you are coreect only the speed teeth were damaged i found that disassembly video pork cop looked good. only worn gear was the ringtospeed gear and the speed control gear was stripped.
i beleive this has been reworked atleast once since its birth in 1979 the wall cord itselfs tells that story brand new belts and wiring internaly looks good.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jenkins wrote:
JPG wrote:

you are coreect only the speed teeth were damaged i found that disassembly video pork cop looked good. only worn gear was the ringtospeed gear and the speed control gear was stripped.
i beleive this has been reworked atleast once since its birth in 1979 the wall cord itselfs tells that story brand new belts and wiring internaly looks good.
Do realize that gear has a slight bevel in the tooth area.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jenkins
Bronze Member

Post by jenkins »

the old girl if from 1979 so it was time besides the gear was 3 bucks. this thing seems like it will be really neat once i have full use of it the lathe is great as fa as I'm concern. but it is also the first one I've used. the band saw seem serviceable now that I've changed the tires and put a new blade on.