New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Re: New guy with new purchase & a Few Questions

Post by JPG »

Ok so it was redundant. :D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

Got her home and in the garage. Here is what $500 bought me! I ran it for a bit in the garage and the noise isn't anything like it was when it was in the other guys building, sounds normal now...... Might just be happy to be in it's new home!

Also came with a Band saw that was hardly used because the previous owner didn't know how to set it up.

Also came with a Jig saw, planer and belt sander:

Everything is a little dry, some rust but it should clean up nice to a useable state!! Rip fence and miter gauge came with it also. No chucks, sanding disc or drum, and no turning tools but I can get that stuff on EBay or through shopsmith themself.
Last edited by jobe05 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jobe05 wrote:Got her home and in the garage. Here is what $500 bought me! I ran it for a bit in the garage and the noise isn't anything like it was when it was in the other guys building, sounds normal now...... Might just be happy to be in it's new home!

A Mark V 500 it is!

Maybe some detritus fell out on the way to your house. Get in there and remove the rest! :cool:

I hope a bunch more stuff came with it.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

JPG wrote:
A Mark V 500 it is!

I was editing the post. I posted one pic to make sure I was doing it right. A lot of the bigger tools came with it, just need to get the small stuff.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jobe05 wrote:
JPG wrote:
A Mark V 500 it is!

I was editing the post. I posted one pic to make sure I was doing it right. A lot of the bigger tools came with it, just need to get the small stuff.
The price sounds better now! I encourage you to look into evaporust and electrolytic rust removal rather than the abrasive method.

You have plenty to do before making good use of it. Please take the time to make all that stuff serviceable at least. You will gain knowledge of how they work, and enjoy using them more.

Good haul.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

I feel pretty comfortable with the Shopsmith itself, the Bandsaw and the planer, as I have used these items many times in the past. The jig saw and the Sander I have never used, but they seem to be pretty straight forward.

Cleaning, oiling, straightening, and replacing set screws and nuts and bolts is going to be my routing for the next couple of weeks in this thing. Everything for the tools appear to be there, just have to clean, oil and put it all together. I have plenty of time as I also share this garage space with my mistresses, 2 Goldwings, and all my other woodworking tools which I can now take to my daughter as she loves wood working also.
jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

Took the front cover off the head to get a look inside. Fairly clean and everything moves very freely. V Belt has definitely got to be changed, less than 1/2" wide and on the slowest of speeds (Beyond "Slow" on the dial) it comes about 1/8" + inches from the top of the pulley. Oiled the 2 spots, 1 on each pulley assembly (I will get to know the terminology) and put a dab on the threads for the speed dial. Started it up and it runs nice and quiet....... smooth!!! So I suspect a better, more indepth cleaning and oiling, will allow this machine to run well for a while!!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jobe05 wrote:Took the front cover off the head to get a look inside. Fairly clean and everything moves very freely. V Belt has definitely got to be changed, less than 1/2" wide and on the slowest of speeds (Beyond "Slow" on the dial) it comes about 1/8" + inches from the top of the pulley. Oiled the 2 spots, 1 on each pulley assembly (I will get to know the terminology) and put a dab on the threads for the speed dial. Started it up and it runs nice and quiet....... smooth!!! So I suspect a better, more indepth cleaning and oiling, will allow this machine to run well for a while!!
I hope you are referring to the idler shaft pulley, not the motor shaft pulley.

As for the indicator dial setting 'below SLOW', that is potentially independent of the actual speed setting(sheave positions). The indicator dial merely responds to the control knob turning, not actual sheave positioning.

Sounds good! When you install the new motor belt, you can then be concerned re that dial synchronization.(high speed adjustment etc.)

FWIW, oil on the worm gear tends to mix with sawdust and create 'crud' that tends to gum things up. I prefer a dry lubricant(powdered graphite). Another thing to attend to later.

Of equal interest is the position of the belt at high speed(if also 1/8" from the 'top' of the motor pulley things are evened out[sorta])). A narrow belt will tend to not achieve full speed range. It also runs the risk of becoming jammed in either of the pulleys when the sheaves are nearly fully open.

You are wise to replace the motor belt. Adjustments that are affected by the belt width can wait until then(unless you want to 'practice' :D ).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

jobe05
Silver Member

Post by jobe05 »

Yes, the belt was low in the upper sheave when running at the lowest speed. I'm going to wait till I get the belt before I tear it down and go through everything 100%, and will make the adjustment/Calibration/Synchronization at that time, never done that, but it seems pretty straight forward.

Went through some of the attachments last night really quickly. Sanding belt attachment works great, but again, I don't have a manual on it, and the online manuals that I have seen online, don't seem to show what the purpose of the cut-a-way piece on the turn knob does. It just seems to "float" there as if it's missing a spring or something.

The Band Saw works great!! Well...... Till the saw blade broke...... I knew it may as the weld spot was very rusted, so new blades will be ordered. The round table plate is missing also, so I have a new one on order from Shopsmith.

Haven't played with the planer yet, and probably won't as I suspect I will never use it. Had one with the last ShopSmith my father inlaw had and never used it....... so I'll save that and the jig saw for a later date.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jobe05 wrote:Yes, the belt was low in the upper sheave when running at the lowest speed. I'm going to wait till I get the belt before I tear it down and go through everything 100%, and will make the adjustment/Calibration/Synchronization at that time, never done that, but it seems pretty straight forward.

Went through some of the attachments last night really quickly. Sanding belt attachment works great, but again, I don't have a manual on it, and the online manuals that I have seen online, don't seem to show what the purpose of the cut-a-way piece on the turn knob does. It just seems to "float" there as if it's missing a spring or something.

The Band Saw works great!! Well...... Till the saw blade broke...... I knew it may as the weld spot was very rusted, so new blades will be ordered. The round table plate is missing also, so I have a new one on order from Shopsmith.

Haven't played with the planer yet, and probably won't as I suspect I will never use it. Had one with the last ShopSmith my father inlaw had and never used it....... so I'll save that and the jig saw for a later date.

First that is a jointer, not a planer. Yes they are different. They do different 'jobs'. If you never used a jointer, the difference does not matter now. I predict it shall matter some day. :D

You will 'discover; the purpose of the gap/lever in the knob when it is time to tension the belt. Yes it should be spring loaded 'out'.

Keep on keeping the fun.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝