Mold Box Construction

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ddub

Mold Box Construction

Post by ddub »

I am doing some plastic casting. I have not been happy with my mold boxes though, so I want to take it up a notch. Protecting your mold is important.

It doesn't have to be pretty, just functional.

So, here is a mold box of the nature that I want to build. Probably without a hinge, just latches.

To make the mold a bit easier to assemble I was thinking of using some tongue and groove router bits for the joints especially the base. I have never used any, so I would like your guys input.

Thanks
JPG
Platinum Member

Re: Mold Box Construction

Post by JPG »

I think a glue joint shaper produced tongue/groove would be better(tapered sides). Allows easy assembly with precise alignment when secured. Trick is getting the sides aligned properly when cutting the t/g.

The corners will be 'tricky'!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
ddub

Post by ddub »

JPG
Like this?

Thanks again
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Yes, but without the double t/g since the sides are likely thin.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kablerj
Gold Member

Post by kablerj »

I use this T&G set. http://sommerfeldtools.com/professional ... making-set
Check this video. Skip forward to 9:25. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klv0jzWD26w

Jim
Hello from Somerset in the beautiful Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands.

Mark 7, Mark VII, Mark V 520, Mark V 510 x 2, Mark V 500
SPT's - Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Jointer, strip sander, Oscillating Sander, Speed Increaser
SS Freestanding - Pro Planer, Scroll Saw, Overarm Pin Router, Power Station, DC3000 x 2
Made for SS - Incra iBox, Ring Master

"Honest dear, I can quit any time I want."
ddub

Post by ddub »

Well, a update on this thread.

Kind of got off track (busy) and this went stagnant while purchasing supplies/tools and just doing other things.

Well, I finally did build 6 mold boxes. They seem to be working out fantastic. The Shopsmith was largely used to create the mold boxes.

I have a new higher respect for people doing "furniture quality" wood work. While mine is FAR from that. But getting things totally square and the proper dimensions without any flaws in the wood. Yep, my respect goes out to you guys.

Thanks for the help!
ashcroftashby
Bronze Member

Post by ashcroftashby »

I dont have any idea about this, you can ask about this someone else..I am sure they will help you to solve your problem.
Link removed by Moderator
Hobbyman2
Platinum Member

Post by Hobbyman2 »

Sounds like you have it figured out , we use to set the casting boxes up with locater pins,, alignment pins , what ever you want to call them.
basically a small pin and hole in the corners of the casting box.

Are those cast solid?
Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)
Skizzity
Gold Member

Re: RE: Re: Mold Box Construction

Post by Skizzity »

Hobbyman2 wrote:Sounds like you have it figured out , we use to set the casting boxes up with locater pins,, alignment pins , what ever you want to call them.
basically a small pin and hole in the corners of the casting box.

Are those cast solid?
This thread was necro'd by spam.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
PowerPro Mark 7, 11" Bandsaw, 4" Jointer, 12" Professional Planer, DC3300 Dust Collector, DW745, DW718 w/ DW723 and a DW788 w/ DW7880.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. -Winston Churchill