English Layout Square

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

Foxtrapper,

No offense taken.

There are a few considerations.

1. Wood expansion along the grain is essentially nonexistent, across the grain could potentially be a problem. Perhaps it would have been better if I had used quartersawn lumber but I couldn’t pass up the curly maple, my one sacrifice to form over function. However as the parts are fairly narrow I would expect this error to be small.

2. Such changes are dependent on changes in atmospheric moisture. Originally the square was going to live in Florida where year round climate control would help to limit any change. However as I understand it the square is to go to the UP so this is out the window.

3. Finally, how much accuracy is required? This is not intended to be a machinist’s square, fortunately such things are rarely required in woodworking and a 21” machinists square is of little use to anyone. I’ll wager that currently this square is closer to a perfect 90 than most of the Chinese framing squares at our local big box. In a pinch if it does get out of sorts, a quick check and a few passes through the jointer will make it good as new.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:Foxtrapper,

No offense taken.

There are a few considerations.

1. Wood expansion along the grain is essentially nonexistent, across the grain could potentially be a problem. Perhaps it would have been better if I had used quartersawn lumber but I couldn’t pass up the curly maple, my one sacrifice to form over function. However as the parts are fairly narrow I would expect this error to be small.

2. Such changes are dependent on changes in atmospheric moisture. Originally the square was going to live in Florida where year round climate control would help to limit any change. However as I understand it the square is to go to the UP so this is out the window.

3. Finally, how much accuracy is required? This is not intended to be a machinist’s square, fortunately such things are rarely required in woodworking and a 21” machinists square is of little use to anyone. I’ll wager that currently this square is closer to a perfect 90 than most of the Chinese framing squares at our local big box. In a pinch if it does get out of sorts, a quick check and a few passes through the jointer will make it good as new.

Troy
Adding to what Troy has said, it be a 'Layout Square' and will often(if not always) be used to scribe a line. There are many ways to deviate from the straightness of the square when holding the pencil(or whatever).;) I think Mr. Livingston is quite capable of properly compensating for any minor deviations!(or correcting them if permanent ones should occur):D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

And, Troy, may I agree completely that the framer's squares and the triangular layout squares in the big box stores are rarely in square. If you really want a square that is near true, get an engineer or drafting square or triangle. And, they are found at a hobby store. Amazing. Have a Craftsman 24" square and a Johnson's 12" square that are out of square from the store. Have tried to correct them but they won't have it. So, they rarely get used. :)
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

swampgator wrote:And, Troy, may I agree completely that the framer's squares and the triangular layout squares in the big box stores are rarely in square. If you really want a square that is near true, get an engineer or drafting square or triangle. And, they are found at a hobby store. Amazing. Have a Craftsman 24" square and a Johnson's 12" square that are out of square from the store. Have tried to correct them but they won't have it. So, they rarely get used. :)
Bet Troy's is square!!!!;)

Wanna have fun some time, take a few squares off the rack and ask a clerk which one is 'correct'.:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

swampgator wrote:And, Troy, may I agree completely that the framer's squares and the triangular layout squares in the big box stores are rarely in square. If you really want a square that is near true, get an engineer or drafting square or triangle. And, they are found at a hobby store. Amazing. Have a Craftsman 24" square and a Johnson's 12" square that are out of square from the store. Have tried to correct them but they won't have it. So, they rarely get used. :)

Good point. I used to have some nice drafting triangles that I used to set up the miter gauge with the sanding disc to get near perfect miter joints on picture frames. They aren't as durable but are very accurate.
JPG40504 wrote:Bet Troy's is square!!!!]

It is a reasonable approximation to square. At least it won't crack when it is dropped. :D

I like the idea of asking which is correct, but these days it isn't all that difficult to confuse the clerks in the big boxes. A while ago I asked where the files were in a local HD and created all sorts of confusion.

My wife's horse also managed to get kicked by a horse and Cathy was instructed to go to the local Ace and ask for Wonder Dust. She said that she got some odd looks until she found someone that had actually heard of the stuff. Every day I become more convinced that you can find just about anything at an Ace Hardware...
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:Good point. I used to have some nice drafting triangles that I used to set up the miter gauge with the sanding disc to get near perfect miter joints on picture frames. They aren't as durable but are very accurate.

It is a reasonable approximation to square. At least it won't crack when it is dropped. :D

I like the idea of asking which is correct, but these days it isn't all that difficult to confuse the clerks in the big boxes. A while ago I asked where the files were in a local HD and created all sorts of confusion.

My wife's horse also managed to get kicked by a horse and Cathy was instructed to go to the local Ace and ask for Wonder Dust. She said that she got some odd looks until she found someone that had actually heard of the stuff. Every day I become more convinced that you can find just about anything at an Ace Hardware...
Surely you did not ask for a bastard file?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

horologist wrote:Good point. I used to have some nice drafting triangles that I used to set up the miter gauge with the sanding disc to get near perfect miter joints on picture frames. They aren't as durable but are very accurate.

case in pointhttp://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kw ... 0butt&sr=1
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

JPG40504 wrote:Surely you did not ask for a bastard file?:D
Of course, why not?
And stop calling me Shirley.
:D

Exactly, although I hope I never find out what this stuff is for.:eek:
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

A space inserted between the t in point and the h in http would create a link and not require copying/pasting to git a look!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

That is beautiful. If I received something like that, I'd have a hard time actually using it instead of hanging it on the wall as art. (Who is Art and why would I hang him on the wall? ;^)