My Shave-horse project, a gripping story...

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

My Shave-horse project, a gripping story...

Post by robinson46176 »

I have been looking at shave-horse pictures on Google and other places for many years now trying to decide which style to make.
I work on stuff with draw knives at the bench either in a vise or under a hold-fast but I have been wanting something solid where I can remove a lot of material in a hurry if I want.
Yesterday in a blinding flash (OK, maybe a dim blink) it hit me. I was looking for a stand for my scroll saw and was looking at a heavy cast iron base I have from a rivet press I sold on Ebay a number of years ago. It would have worked but I didn't feel that being a plain stand was getting the full potential out of it. That and I want my scroll saw sitting low enough that I can sit on a stool to use it.
I have this base because I bought the rivet press when I bought a load machinery out of shoe repair machinery out of a shop just south of Davenport Iowa. I didn't have any need for it so I put it on Ebay. A buyer wanted the actual press unit really badly because his was failing but didn't want to pay the shipping for the whole thing since he already had the base from his. I sold him the press for more than I expected to get and I kept the base. I've been looking for a good use for it ever since. :rolleyes:
The Stimson press looked like this one where you step on the pedal to operate the press:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stimpson-479-Ey ... 1785781630

Here is a picture of my press base. You can see the foot pedal and the steel bar that runs up inside of the base to pull down hard on the press lever. This base is right in the 100# neighborhood.
Stimson rivet press base_resized.jpg
Stimson rivet press base_resized.jpg (90.1 KiB) Viewed 2521 times
I'm planning a small heavy support table, maybe only about 8" x 8" and a upper holding block perhaps about the same size. I want to mount a seat support arm sticking out to the right with a support leg or legs. That arm will likely be held to the main post with a couple of heavy "U" bolts. I will also likely add a wider pad to the foot pedal so I can sit on the seat and push down on the pedal with both feet.

It will be very out of character for me if I fail to change my plan at least 6 times as I build it... :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
davebodner
Gold Member

Re: My Shave-horse project, a gripping story...

Post by davebodner »

Interesting re-use. I'm not completely understanding, though. Is your weight serving to immobilize the shave-horse? I think that's key, even with 100 lb. of steel.
davebodner
Gold Member

Post by davebodner »

Actually, now that I think about it, it's not so much that your weight immobilizes a standard shave-horse. It's that there's no net force working on the overall shave-horse. If you're pulling with your draw knife with 30 lbs of force, then you're simultaneously pushing with your feet with 30 lbs of force.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

That's right. The stability needs to be between the seat and the jaws and the pedal. :) The whole thing could really be up on wheels as long as you don't flail around violently. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

robinson46176 wrote:The whole thing could really be up on wheels as long as you don't flail around violently. :D
But wouldn't that depend up on the horse your shaving? :eek:
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

beeg wrote:
robinson46176 wrote:The whole thing could really be up on wheels as long as you don't flail around violently. :D
But wouldn't that depend up on the horse your shaving? :eek:

I've never shaved a horse but I have had a few close shaves working with spooked horses. :eek: :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
bffulgham
Gold Member

Here's a Shaved Horse

Post by bffulgham »

ShavedHorse (Custom).jpg
ShavedHorse (Custom).jpg (143.29 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/