Lift for accessory tools?

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

fitzhugh
Gold Member

Lift for accessory tools?

Post by fitzhugh »

I have a neck injury that makes it difficult and risky to lift my planer, jointer, or bandsaw to and from the mark v.

Anyone make some sort of overhead lift fir the tools? Or have ideas or advice? I figure having stands on casters and some sort of simple frame I can roll into position and back out of the way after, with as simple a pully and slide setup ad possible could work, only I have never worked someplace that used any sort of lift and I'm sure there are good and bad ways of doing such things.

I do have a second base unit (greenie) and I plan on installing a 2hp reversible DC motor when I can afford it next month (poor man's power pro) to replace the 3/4 HP motor, allowing me to mount both the planer and jointer permanently. That said, thinks don't always work. Plus I know I'll end up with the belt sander and the strip sander, oh, and I have the jigsaw too, so even then I'll need a way to swap them.

Does this mean I wish I had separate single purpose tools? No. It makes me wish I had a decent neck! I still could not fut nor afford separate tools.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
dgreen810
Gold Member

Re: Lift for accessory tools?

Post by dgreen810 »

Fitzhugh

Take a look at my post a few days ago in the Maintenance section. "Awkward Band saw". when you look at the pictures, I have since replaced the hinge with a much heavier hinge with bearings.

Don G
Last edited by dgreen810 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

That is exactly what I wanted to see! I can't mount fully to the wall, though I can anchor it to a stud so it won't tip. Best I can tell you don't have it travel across the arm, just pivot at the hinge, and that will make it easier.

Thank you!
dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

Fitz

I am not sure you are seeing this rig right. The eye on the swinging beam doesn't move. It just swings away from the wall and I position the SS under it. See the attached pictures.
Further, you mention not using a header but instead using a stud. If it were me I would think about using a short piece of a 2x6 or something similar and spanning two studs and trying to get good contact with the lag bolts from the front or carriage bolts from the rear. Just a thought!

Don G
Attachments
IMGP4050_edited-1.jpg
IMGP4050_edited-1.jpg (290.63 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
IMGP4051_edited-1.jpg
IMGP4051_edited-1.jpg (314.73 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
kenbu
Gold Member

Post by kenbu »

A variation on Don's idea is Cabela's Model 228387 hoist frame, which is designed to mount on a pipe. I use one of these in conjunction with a Harbor Freight electric hoist (mounting brackets fit perfectly, btw) to move things between floors in my garage. Barn door track is another option, if you prefer attaching to the rafters.

Ken
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Don, Yeah, I did see it correctly, I just didn't write coherently. I meant I liked that you accomplished the function without needing a slide.
Ken, that's a good idea. I'll look at that as well. I like the pipe mounted support. I don't think I'd go for electric but looking at them I found HF also has chain hoists that would be fine, and cheaper.

This now seems entirely possible!
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Oh, and Cabella's has pulley hoists as well, and cheaper that are still appropriate. Great info.
fitzhugh
Gold Member

Post by fitzhugh »

Ah, and then there is the $6 HF General Purpose Rope Hoist. That sounds entirely affordable. Only problem is the reviews mention the same model has been marked as having a 1000 lbs capacity in the older models, then 500 lbs, and now 150 lbs! Hmm, sounds like I could use it for a year or two before it suddenly can only hold 75 lbs, and then I'm still safe for a bit. Makes you wonder if they have just use a dart board to decide, or if they make something up in marketing and only change it when legal calls and says "Hey, you should probably lower that limit. We got another call from a customer's widow. Seems 500 lbs was still too much."
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

LOL!

[quote="fitzhugh"]Ah, and then there is the $6 HF General Purpose Rope Hoist. That sounds entirely affordable. Only problem is the reviews mention the same model has been marked as having a 1000 lbs capacity in the older models, then 500 lbs, and now 150 lbs! Hmm, sounds like I could use it for a year or two before it suddenly can only hold 75 lbs, and then I'm still safe for a bit. Makes you wonder if they have just use a dart board to decide, or if they make something up in marketing and only change it when legal calls and says "Hey, you should probably lower that limit. We got another call from a customer's widow. Seems 500 lbs was still too much."[/quote]
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dgreen810
Gold Member

Post by dgreen810 »

For everyone's information the Block and Tackle you see in the pictures is the "El Cheapo" I picked up at HF to see if the idea was plausible and because it was Sunday. My intent is to upgrade if necessary in the future, However for now it does the job it is intended for. I don't believe it will be used that often anyway.

Don G