Mark VII Cam speed control

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

We have discussed many things about this but I am not all that great at finding the old stuff.
Have these units been tipped to drill press mode and lubed and left sitting like that overnight to get oil in the yoke bearing? I have never noticed mine getting all that hot but then I don't run it a lot so I just can't say. Has anybody felt around to see where it burns your fingers the most? :)
There are several possibilities for operating the speed control without using the rotating cam. One is to use a lever/bellcrank system. A locking T handled control like used on such things as dump truck hydraulic systems could also be used.
One concept that I like is making a wedge shaped cam instead of the round one and using a threaded rod to push it forward or pull it back. Basically it would be a lot like taking the round cam and just straightening it out. One would very easy to machine with simple equipment.
The whole cam concept is pretty simple and there is a long history of such controls on all kinds of equipment. The variable speed drives of a self propelled combine normally use a small hydraulic cylinder to push / pull the movable sheaves. Some of the real old ones used a long threaded rod with a crank on the end sticking up through the cab floor someplace.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
hdoilcan
Gold Member

Post by hdoilcan »

If anyone's interested in an aluminum cam, please pm me.
gpartin
Silver Member

UPDATE on Speed Cam

Post by gpartin »

The Process has begun, bigger, thicker where it counts
" That ain't going nowhere "
gpartin
Silver Member

new beefier Cam Speed Control

Post by gpartin »

in the works...just an update
Attachments
Shopsmith 0012.jpg
Shopsmith 0012.jpg (146.02 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Shopsmith 0021.jpg
Shopsmith 0021.jpg (121.16 KiB) Viewed 3534 times
" That ain't going nowhere "
briallpro
Bronze Member

Post by briallpro »

gpartin wrote:in the works...just an update
Please keep me in mind when you have these made.
thanks,
Brian Dubin briallpro@gmail.com
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

hdoilcan wrote:If anyone's interested in an aluminum cam, please pm me.

Thank you sir...my Mark VII will continue it's long life for sometime to come...now if I can only find a replacement for the rack:D
Chucks in Phoenix Mark V(5), Mark VII(2),Power Pro, Planer, Crafter Station, Jointer,Bandsaw(3),Lathe Duplicator,Belt Sander,Jig Saw,DC3300(2),"Sears Router Crafter", Post Drill, Stand alone Overarm Router. Jointmatic ++++,
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

So, I'll be the devils advocate here....(it's what I do),
Why go to the trouble to make them out of plastic, when a forum member here has already improved the originals by making them out of aluminum instead of plastic... which were famous for breaking. Honestly, if I were to restore or repair a MARK 7, I would definitely opt for the aluminum over the plastic.
I'm not trying to stir anything up, but just trying to understand.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

chucks wrote:Thank you sir...my Mark VII will continue it's long life for sometime to come...now if I can only find a replacement for the rack:D
I have a mark VII with an intact rack that I am parting out. contact me offline and we can work something out.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
chucks
Gold Member

Post by chucks »

damagi wrote:I have a mark VII with an intact rack that I am parting out. contact me offline and we can work something out.

Actually, I have a backup already.....what I'm looking for is something like the Cam...Steel, Aluminum or New. I know there are a lot available, even places to special order if required, but finding the best place to acquire? I'm looking.
Chucks in Phoenix Mark V(5), Mark VII(2),Power Pro, Planer, Crafter Station, Jointer,Bandsaw(3),Lathe Duplicator,Belt Sander,Jig Saw,DC3300(2),"Sears Router Crafter", Post Drill, Stand alone Overarm Router. Jointmatic ++++,
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wiredone wrote:So, I'll be the devils advocate here....(it's what I do),
Why go to the trouble to make them out of plastic, when a forum member here has already improved the originals by making them out of aluminum instead of plastic... which were famous for breaking. Honestly, if I were to restore or repair a MARK 7, I would definitely opt for the aluminum over the plastic.
I'm not trying to stir anything up, but just trying to understand.

Devil's advocate II here!]it[/B] melts, there are many other parts that will already be melted scrap by then), that I had him make me one with his even though I do not (yet) own a Mark VII.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange