lathe chuck adapter

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Lathe Chuck Adapter

Post by dusty »

Some photos might clear this up for everyone? Ya think.:confused:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

Did some one say photo?

Well OK, go here to see the 1" x 8 threads per inch one.

Photo was removed

The one pictured is from Penn State, at least the one I got had some issues. It is from China and the class of threads used for the set screw to hold it on the shopsmith were such that it wanted to come loose all the time. I contacted Penn State and gave them the information to fix the issue but I have no idea if they ever did. I did have some luck by buying a longer better quality set screw and some locktite like product that still allows the screw to be turned but seems to keep it from coming loose on its own. I still don't trust it so someday I will drill a second hole 90 degs from the first and tap for a standard setscrew and use that to hold it on... or trash it and get a better quality one.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
dusty
Platinum Member

Lathe Chuck Adaptor

Post by dusty »

Yup, as usual reible has set the "photo quality" bar high. I have a few respectable photos but very few that come up to this level especially when doing closeups.

But that is OK, about a year ago (maybe a bit longer) I was just learning how to post photos. If it had not been for my interest in this forum, I would still not know how.

Thank you ed for this photo. It makes it very clear what this adapter is suppose to do.

Other than arbor size and thread, are there any other types of adapters?

Are these all readily available or does one have to go to a specialty source (like Penn State)?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
ralphtaff
Gold Member

Post by ralphtaff »

Paul,, Thank you that DID answer my big mystifying question.Now i feel like i know what to look for or at before i do much.:) :) :D :D
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Three questions
The first for anyone. Does anyone know of another manufacture of adapters other than Penn State? I don't like the sound of that adapter as explained by Reible.

Second question to Reible - Instead of drilling a new hole or using locktite could you simply use a set screw with a nylon insert that would keep the screw from backing out?

Third question does anyone have a picture of the adapter that comes from SS when you order the Talon chuck?
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
curiousgeorge
Platinum Member

Post by curiousgeorge »

I don't have the Talon chuck, but I bought the G3 from SS and here is the chuck with the adapter. I couldn't get the adapter loose from the chuck, but they all look the same except for size.
Attachments
G3.jpg
G3.jpg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 20909 times
George
Ft. Worth, TX.
Go TCU Froggies
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Three questions
The first for anyone. Does anyone know of another manufacture of adapters other than Penn State? I don't like the sound of that adapter as explained by Reible.

Yes but I don't recall where I saw them. See post from #4 from Paulmcohen and since he owns one maybe he can tell us???

Second question to Reible - Instead of drilling a new hole or using locktite could you simply use a set screw with a nylon insert that would keep the screw from backing out?

The problem is caused by having the wrong "fit" threads in the adapter, and second the setscrew they supplied was short and "soft". I picked up a replacement that was longer and thus had more threads in contact and added the "locktite" like material because I had it. It is a metric thread, don't recall the size now but if you happened to have one with the nylon insert it might work as well?? I know I would feel better with a new hole and correct threads and would go to a stardard size hex like the rest of my shopsmith equipment uses... Now the way it is you have to have a metric allen wrench to use.

I now have a Nova G3 with the correct adapter from shopsmith so the 1 x 8 tpi adapter doesn't get used much. I could part with it but I would never sell it to anyone knowing what I know. I do hope to get around to trying the new hole and threading if for no other reason then to see how it would work.

Third question does anyone have a picture of the adapter that comes from SS when you order the Talon chuck?

Sorry I don't have a talon chuck or adapter to post pictures of. I see a picture of the G3 has already been posted which is the same thing I have...

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

George

How does your adapter connect to the G3?
To see the talon adapter.
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... chucks.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

ralphtaff wrote:can you get only the adapter for the ss for like the oneway chuck? does it fit other chucks or do you have to buy a oneway chuck only? the reason i ask is i think i know where i can get a chuck but do not know if i can use it or not on the shopsmith. any advise or information will be helpful. thanks in advance.:confused: :confused:
After reading your post last night, I searched the oneway web site. I found this - http://www.oneway.ca/chucks/adaptors.htm But not knowing much about lathe chucks I decided not to post it until I could find out a little more. Wow! your response has been wonderful. Thought I'd just throw this in the mix for a little confusion. Looks to me like they have adapters for just about any chuck. They cover imperial threads as well as metric. If you don't have your answer by now - you could give them a phone call.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Thanks for that site Chuck. It was interesting and I found out that the adapters screw onto the chuck. So ALL adapters look the same one one end, the other end varies from no threads to the threads of your chose.

So to answer RalphTaff question, YES a OneWay brand will fit the SS, all you have to do is purchase the correct adapter. If you change to a different lathe, like a OneWay or Jet. It just needs a different adapter with threads.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob