Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:Honest question.

Distance off the floor (clearance). Can you really tell by measuring the cam. Yes, you can tell the difference between the two levels (as caused by the cam) but does that same information tell you anything about distance off the floor.

There should be a direct correlation between the cam lobe height and piston movement which should equal caster movement after caster stem has bottomed out in the piston bore. The rest to low lobe difference is 9/32" which allows the caster stem to clear the stop at the end of the bore 1/32" as the legs rest on the floor assuming 1/4" leg clearance at the low lobe position.

Granted these are 'nominal' dimensions and will vary in practice due to various tolerances.

The older casters(both metal and plastic etc.) had no swivel bearing and thus the stem rotated within the piston bore. The new 3" casters do have a swivel bearing and I ASSUME the piston bears against the top of the bearing race rather than against the top of the stem. Regardless the original floor clearances should be the same if the casters are mounted correctly.

Again the most critical dimension is the caster(stem/race/whatever) clearance that allows the total weight to rest on the legs at the 'rest' position.

P.S. Realize floor clearance will decrease as the casters wear to a smaller od.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

If you are interested you can always check this post:

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=10221

This is from when I did my casters around june of 2012.

I have mine set to clear the floor, then go to 1/4" then 1/2". I would not what it any other way.

At the time the template was messed up and as I later learned replicated on a copy machne (per Mike Young). I hope they have the new version correct but with all the mess with this I'd still check before drilling.

It is also unclear when the positron of the leaver moved, some time after all the machines I have anyway, 1976 reference machine purchased new and casters added in 1979 so it was after that.

Ed
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Just dug out a 1953 'catalog'(Model 10 vintage). It says 1/4" and 1/2" and 'gentle' lowering to floor.

Sooo that 63 vintage catalog is a misprint.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

You do not have to lay on the floor if you do this.
[ATTACH]23305[/ATTACH]
Bill V
Attachments
SS upside down.jpg
SS upside down.jpg (67.34 KiB) Viewed 6482 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wa2crk wrote:You do not have to lay on the floor if you do this.
[ATTACH]23305[/ATTACH]
Bill V
The horses legs are too long!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wa2crk wrote:You do not have to lay on the floor if you do this.
[ATTACH]23305[/ATTACH]
Bill V
What's that green stuff I see outside your garage door?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:What's that green stuff I see outside your garage door?
Tinted sea shells!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

lbrooks836
Bronze Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by lbrooks836 »

How can I get a copy of the template to install the new 3" wheels on my Shopsmith?
dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Post by dusty »

lbrooks836 wrote:How can I get a copy of the template to install the new 3" wheels on my Shopsmith?
I got my weel upgrade before Shopsmith offered a jig for drilling the holes. Because I had multiple sets of holes to drill, I developed my own jig. Others have done the same thing.

Toward the end of this thread you will find the dimensions that I used for my upgrades.

http://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewtopic ... er#p208447
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
lbrooks836
Bronze Member

Post by lbrooks836 »

I ordered the Pro Fence upgrade for my 510. I got the video and the instructions but lost the instructions. Do I have to put the spacers in for it to fit right? Someone broke into my shop and stole a bunch of my equipment so I have been in a mess trying to put it all back together. Any help will be appreciated.