Template for relocating Shopsmith Retractable Caster Brackets when adding the larger

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

cooch366 wrote:Oh and one more thing

Because I have not put the legs on the new unit yet I'm thinking of drilling the holes now with the legs off, and i'll be ready to install the legs when casters arrive ( Between dec 9th & 15th)

Anyine see issues with this?

thanks....
Pay attention and I don't see what could go wrong.

Make sure you drill the right size holes.

When you make your template, make sure the new holes are offset from the old holes by the proper amount and in the correct direction.

Make sure you drill the new holes above the old holes. Believe me, I could screw up that way.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Keep in mind I followed the following method, but, I was mounting third party casters.

Not having any template, and knowing the proper positioning of the wheels when lowered(both positions - 1/4" And 1/2" Cut those in half! 1/8" and 1/4" Nope! see post # 19 this thread!!! clearance to the floor), I slipped the casters onto the leg and clamped them while I 'adjusted' the caster location on the legs. Critical was the casters must NOT be supporting any weight when 'raised'. They may rest on the floor, but the upper end must have clearance so they 'float'. By locating them, then measuring the leg distances above the floor in the two lowered(casters lowered/ss raised) positions and the floating of the casters when raised(ss lowered) and doing so for both sides and ends, you can mark the hole locations. A sanity check to assure all are the same distance from the original holes, then drill.

If I got SS or BM casters now, I would do it the same way! i.e. no template!

No matter how you proceed, realize you will be splaying the legs slightly more than originally.

IIWM, I would not predrill the holes. Too much confusion surrounding those templates. Hopefully ss has gotten it correct by now! I would judge that before actually drilling.;)

Too many folks have stated they work correctly, but also said they needed to raise to the high position to clear the floor(by far less than 1/2"). SS is included in that 'group'.`

Age sure does mess with yer memory!!!! And sometimes it works correctly in spite of 'other stuff'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]Keep in mind I followed the following method, but, I was mounting third party casters.

Not having any template, and knowing the proper positioning of the wheels when lowered(both positions - 1/4" And 1/2" clearance to the floor), I slipped the casters onto the leg and clamped them while I 'adjusted' the caster location on the legs. Critical was the casters must NOT be supporting any weight when 'raised'. They may rest on the floor, but the upper end must have clearance so they 'float'. By locating them, then measuring the leg distances above the floor in the two lowered(casters lowered/ss raised) positions and the floating of the casters when raised(ss lowered) and doing so for both sides and ends, you can mark the hole locations. A sanity check to assure all are the same distance from the original holes, then drill.

If I got SS or BM casters now, I would do it the same way! i.e. no template!

No matter how you proceed, realize you will be splaying the legs slightly more than originally.

IIWM, I would not predrill the holes. Too much confusion surrounding those templates. Hopefully ss has gotten it correct by now! I would judge that before actually drilling.]

It is obvious that when the wheels are down (in either position) the intention is to raise the legs off the floor. The experience of some indicates that that clearance should be 1/4" and 1/2" in the two different positions.

Mine clears the floor but not by those amounts.

What we don't know is how much clearance did Shopsmith intend for there to be.

That detail is no longer important to me. I have had the new wheels for months now and I am pleased with how well they work for me. However, for future users, it sure would be helpful if Shopsmith would declare what the clearance is suppose to be.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

dusty wrote:...
That detail is no longer important to me. I have had the new wheels for months now and I am pleased with how well they work for me. However, for future users, it sure would be help be he helpful if Shopsmith would declare what the clearance is suppose to be.
Gotta ask, why would that be helpful? Curiosity? or functional need?
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:It is obvious that when the wheels are down (in either position) the intention is to raise the legs off the floor. The experience of some indicates that that clearance should be 1/4" and 1/2" in the two different positions.

Mine clears the floor but not by those amounts.

What we don't know is how much clearance did Shopsmith intend for there to be.

That detail is no longer important to me. I have had the new wheels for months now and I am pleased with how well they work for me. However, for future users, it sure would be helpful if Shopsmith would declare what the clearance is suppose to be.
See post #19 this thread

The intention was quite clear 50 yrs ago!

My 'recollection' (both of then and when installing the casters as described above) was faulty!!!!:o:o:o:o:o Nope, 1/4" and 1/2" are correct!

Reduce those fractions by a factor of 2! Nope, somebody goofed 50 yrs go!

[ATTACH]23303[/ATTACH]
Attachments
casters 1963.jpg
casters 1963.jpg (208.99 KiB) Viewed 6011 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

charlese wrote:Gotta ask, why would that be helpful? Curiosity? or functional need?
I suppose that some would see it as useless information, others would see it as nothing more than a curiosity but I would get some satisfaction from knowing that I did the work as it was intended to be done. It certainly would not be functional because one would not know whether the holes are proper until it is too late to correct.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I suppose that some would see it as useless information, others would see it as nothing more than a curiosity but I would get some satisfaction from knowing that I did the work as it was intended to be done. It certainly would not be functional because one would not know whether the holes are proper until it is too late to correct.

We totally agree there!

Sorry I misspoke above - I corrected that post. #12 And I corrected the correction! See post#19 this thread.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:The intention was quite clear 50 yrs ago!

My 'recollection' (both of then and when installing the casters as described above) was faulty!!!!:o:o:o:o:o

Reduce those fractions by a factor of 2!

[ATTACH]23303[/ATTACH]
These old advertisements are interesting to see and read. However, this particular one would not have caused me to purchase. An 1/8"? They gotta be kidding.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:These old advertisements are interesting to see and read. However, this particular one would not have caused me to purchase. An 1/8"? They gotta be kidding.

Get out yer dial indicator and measure the cam profile. Maybe my recollection was not off after all? I will look at a 'loose' cam. Difference between 1/8 - 1/4 and 1/4 - 1/2 should be obvious. Stand by!]same[/U] from shaft to lobes - rest=7/32", first lobe=1/2", high lobe=3/4".

Sooooo my recollections were correct after all. Apparently the 1963 catalog was incorrect.

Bottom line. low step raises leg 1/4" off the floor, high step raises leg 1/2" off the floor, caster clears floor by 1/32" 'at rest.(actually top of stem clears stop by 1/32", the caster rests on the floor with no load).

Geez now I gotta correct the corrections above.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]Get out yer dial indicator and measure the cam profile. Maybe my recollection was not off after all? I will look at a 'loose' cam. Difference between 1/8 - 1/4 and 1/4 - 1/2 should be obvious. Stand by!]

Honest question.

Distance off the floor (clearance). Can you really tell by measuring the cam. Yes, you can tell the difference between the two levels (as caused by the cam) but does that same information tell you anything about distance off the floor.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty