I finally got "custody" :)

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jmc_bc1963
Silver Member

I finally got "custody" :)

Post by jmc_bc1963 »

Back in the 80's my ex and I had purchased a new SS, it sat in the basement for months collecting dust, when I finally got fed up and popped in the first of many videos. Then something happened, I found out that I not only enjoyed working with my hands but I was pretty good at it too. A few years later I lost the SS in the divorce along with the rest of my specific tools (I got the kids :D ). Fast forward nearly 20 years, and four house remodels last week I finally found a replacement SS out of an estate sale. She's a bit older, a Mark V 500 not the 510 we had before, but I'm one happy camper none the less, only paid $550.00 for it too.

She's been taken good care of, strong motor, nominal rust considering we're in MI. and VERY clean. I'll be bringing it home in about two weeks time. I will want to clean it up and perhaps custom paint it (just because it's mine and I can :p ).

Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself. I am very happy I found this site.

Julie :)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jmc_bc1963 wrote:Back in the 80's my ex and I had purchased a new SS, it sat in the basement for months collecting dust, when I finally got fed up and popped in the first of many videos. Then something happened, I found out that I not only enjoyed working with my hands but I was pretty good at it too. A few years later I lost the SS in the divorce along with the rest of my specific tools (I got the kids :D ). Fast forward nearly 20 years, and four house remodels last week I finally found a replacement SS out of an estate sale. She's a bit older, a Mark V 500 not the 510 we had before, but I'm one happy camper none the less, only paid $550.00 for it too.

She's been taken good care of, strong motor, nominal rust considering we're in MI. and VERY clean. I'll be bringing it home in about two weeks time. I will want to clean it up and perhaps custom paint it (just because it's mine and I can :p ).

Just wanted to say hi, introduce myself. I am very happy I found this site.

Julie :)
Check out the top posts in this thread! Welcome!!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
joedw00
Platinum Member

Post by joedw00 »

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your find. Looks like there are a few extras with it.
Joe

520, Bandsaw, Beltsander, Delta Drill Press, Delta Lathe, Craftsman Planner/Jointer, Delta Planner, Mini "Greenie" Shorty 500

Being a VETERAN is an honor
Being a GRANDPA is priceless
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Congratulations on the new addition to the family, and the kids should be proud that they were chosen above the last SS... a tough decision though I'm sure :D

You would've spent about the same amount of money either way, accessories you know.
R Hart
jmc_bc1963
Silver Member

Post by jmc_bc1963 »

mrhart wrote:Congratulations on the new addition to the family, and the kids should be proud that they were chosen above the last SS... a tough decision though I'm sure :D
Thanks! They are all adults now and have families of their own. They are happy for me, and they know it never was a choice. According to my son the original one is still sitting in someone's basement collecting dust. My son was great, he said "Mom, at least you KNOW yours is going to be used..." He's going to go over and help me bring it home, a "Mom/Son" sort of thing ;) I still can't stop smiling about it.

Now after reading the site over a bit more I've discovered "Mini's, Shorties, Greenies, the 10-E" I never realized there was such diversity available, pretty need the options are endless.
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

[quote="jmc_bc1963"]Thanks! They are all adults now and have families of their own. They are happy for me, and they know it never was a choice. According to my son the original one is still sitting in someone's basement collecting dust. My son was great, he said "Mom, at least you KNOW yours is going to be used..." He's going to go over and help me bring it home, a "Mom/Son" sort of thing ]

Ooh I think the best part of this is you KNOW where the other one is...need to be a bit creative on how to aquire that one back, one is good, two is better :D.

Thats good you have the help, hopefully he will have interest as well. My daughter tells her friends I'm a "shop nerd" when ever I get out to the garage. Take some pics of your set up when you get it moved in!
R Hart
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

good on you for the re-finding of your dreams.
I remember getting the tools and one of the two kids. Those were the days. Wish I had gotten them both.
They too are both grown and the daughter is the handy one with the tools, not my son. How cool is that?
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
jmc_bc1963
Silver Member

Post by jmc_bc1963 »

mrhart wrote:Ooh I think the best part of this is you KNOW where the other one is...need to be a bit creative on how to aquire that one back, one is good, two is better :D !
LOL! I had tried, I really did, for years infact, going as far as to offer to take several thousand off the child support (basically paying full price for a 15 yr old machine) that he still owes on our now adult children, I'll never see either. But there are many other equally deserving machines out there that once I remember what I'm doing might sneak into the shop when my husband isn't looking. "Honest hunny, it followed me home" :rolleyes:

Right now it's all about the positives. :D

I'll be posting photos of the shop as soon as I get things finished. Where should I post them, here?
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forum jmc bc. Post the pics where ever ya want. :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fiatben
Platinum Member

Post by fiatben »

jmc_bc1963 wrote: "Honest hunny, it followed me home" :rolleyes:
I love it. That's the best, most plausible excuse I've seen so far!

Be careful what you wish for. These things to do have a way of attracting each other like opposite ends of a magnet. How do I know? Well, I love my old 500 with it's unique paint scheme (you're right, it's mine and mine alone), and my bargain 510 is a pure joy to use, yet somehow last week an old Mark VII sought me out and "followed me home." :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum. We'll all pitch in and gladly help you rebuild as many as your shop will hold.
'55 Greenie #292284 (Mar-55), '89 SS 510 #020989, Mark VII #408551 (sold 10/14/12), SS Band Saw, (SS 500 #36063 (May-79) now gone to son-in-law as of 11-11), Magna bandsaw, Magna jointer 16185 (May-54), Magna belt sander SS28712 (Dec-82), Magna jigsaw SS4397 (Dec-78), SS biscuit joiner, Zyliss (knockoff) vise, 20+ hand planes, 60s Craftsman tablesaw, CarbaTec mini-lathe, and the usual pile of tools. Hermit of the Hills Woodworks, a hillbilly in the foothills of the Ozarks, scraping by.