phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

My sawmill is suddenly going to be very busy this year.

#248947 by robinson46176 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:57 pm

We made a disheartening discovery recently. I knew that there had been a few reports of Emerald Ash Borer (EAB) in my area but we have now found them in a lot of our trees... :(
I have always liked ash trees and started planting them and saving naturally sprouting ones many many years ago. I've planted a lot of other species too including pine and losing all of our ash trees will not leave us bare but it is really sad for us to be losing them. The last couple of years I have been planting more walnut. (both black and Carpathian), tulip poplar, sugar maple etc. since I knew the EAB's were coming.
The up side of it (at least there is an upside :rolleyes: ) is that I do have a need for quite a bit of lumber this year. The EAB's kill the tree by eating the cambium layer but they don't damage the wood.
I have hundreds of ash trees of all sizes and I want to be sure that as little as possible goes to waste. I will saw and stockpile lumber in addition to what I will use this year. The slab-wood from the mill and the tops will all go into firewood. I have a couple of buzz-saws of different styles and I have cut firewood with one of them off and on for years. I also have a third one that can be mounted on a garden tractor. I have several locations here on the farm to store firewood under roof. There should be enough for several years of heating the farm shop and the large house both.

---

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: My sawmill is suddenly going to be very busy this year.

#248958 by BuckeyeDennis » Thu May 31, 2018 6:38 am

My condolences, farmer ... it’s a sad thing to watch. Around here, the ash trees are all dead, but some of the larger ones are still standing. A nearby nature preserve where my wife and I hike looks like a bizarre arboreal battleground, with fallen ash trees thickly littering the forest floor.

Per the law of supply and demand, local ash lumber prices have plummeted. I thought rough-sawn lumber had hit rock bottom a couple years ago at $1/bf, but right now there’s a mill advertising the stuff on CL for $0.60/bf. That’s about what it would cost me to have someone bring out a bandsaw mill and saw up my own logs.

If you can store it long enough, I’d bet that ash lumber will eventually become scarce, and fetch a premium price. It’s really nice wood.

#248959 by Hobbyman2 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 am

it is hard to watch them go ,hope some one can figure out a way to stop these things , I seen a article the other day about not transporting any ash from the woods this time of year because it just spreads the bugs. I try to strip the bark off everything now before I remove it from the woods . if you want some really nice lumber have it 1/4 saw'n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Kt3IrTBlA

---

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)

#248962 by robinson46176 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 am

EAB's have been reported in some white fringe trees and there is concern that they may be capable of adapting to some other species when the ash trees are basically gone. I've not seen any mention of what other species they think they might adapt to.
At least locally our woodpecker populations are going up and most ash trees have signs of woodpecker activity. It was that activity that made me inspect them more closely.

---

--

farmer

Francis Robinson

I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.

1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill

I have (or had) 5 ash tres in my backyard I planted about 27 years ago. When I saw the EAB borers were entering the area (Hancock County), I started treating them with ground drench insecticides. After reading Purdue's paper on the EA,I then hired a local company to treat them. Unfortunately, according to another tree surgeon I hired later, the original company had done such a poor job that the treatments were ineffective. $3000 down the drain. I had the worse one removed last fall. The other four are still growing a bit but show all the signs of infestation. I'll get another summer or two of shade before I have to get them removed. More money to fix someone elses mistake

Riley Park in Greenfield had to remove over 100 trees due to the EAB. Much less shade there now..

Another import from China.

---

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob