Learning Lathe Turning Techniques
Get the Instruction You Will Need To Get Started
- First, review the lathe chapter in Power Tool Woodworking for Everyone. In addition, review the sharpening chapter for invaluable tips and techniques for sharpening your chisels. This textbook should have been included with the other manuals and instructional materials that came with your Shopsmith machine. If you don't have a copy of this textbook, it is readily available through the Shopsmith Web Site.
- If you have a friend, neighbor or relative with turning experience, ask him (or her) to provide some personal instruction.
- If there is a local woodworking club or organization in your area, attend a meeting or two in order to find a member who might be willing to help you.
- If there is a retail woodworking store in your area, ask them if they offer woodturning classes or know of a local woodturner who might be willing to provide some instruction.
- Click on any (or all) of the YouTube links below for video woodturning instruction. We have selected these videos as a great way for you to start getting the instruction you'll need.
Selected Wood Turning Instructional Videos
- Basic Wood Turning Tools
- Advise To New Wood Turners
- Wood Turning Demystified
- How To Turn a Basic Bowl
- Woodturning Bowls - All the Basics Explained
- Rough Turning a Box Blank
Return to starting page on the lathe.
- Knowing Your Machine
- Getting Ready
- Table Saw
- Drill Press
- Horizontal Boring
- Disc Sanding
- Over-Table Router
- Under-Table Shaper
- Making a Project